Troublesome second hand oven which caught fire creates insurance woes for couple

share

Source:

Fair Go

An insurance company has finally come to the party, after initially refusing to pay for a second hand oven which caught fire. 

Phil and Lavina Pirere bought a second hand oven from Newbolds Appliances but it was never quite right – overheating they said.
Source: Fair Go

Phil and Lavina Pirere bought a second hand oven from Newbolds Appliances but it kept overheating.

Two visits from the serviceman later, and they found it was still too hot - they had to use it at a low temperatures.

And then the oven caught on fire, almost cooking the kitchen.

They were insured, but Lumley Insurance said this was a service failure and so, was not covered under their policy.

The stove was under warranty but Newbolds said there was no proof that the oven failed, or had any kind of fault so it should be covered by insurance as an accidental fire.

The Pireres were stuck paying off both the burnt out oven and the replacement oven from Newbolds.

Fair Go suggested to the insurance company that, since it had not been determined what the actual cause of the fire was, it should be covered by insurance.

Lumley took another look, agreed they had made a wrong policy decision, and have now paid out the claim in full. The Pireres are over the moon.

By Fair Go reporter Hannah Wallis 

loading error

refresh