Auckland is set to be hit by a severe thunderstorm and lightning this afternoon as wet weather closes in.
The Auckland suburb of Orewa has already experienced lightning and rain this afternoon as the stormy weather makes its way south.
Moving south the thunderstorm is expected to hit the city, the Auckland suburb of Henderson and Piha just before 2:30pm.
The thunderstorm is also expected to reach the south Auckland suburb of Kumeu, Muriwai Beach and Huapai while a severe thunderstorm watch is in place for the rest of Auckland, Great Barrier Island and the Coromandel Peninsula.
Civil Defence and Emergency Management advises when the thunderstorms approach to:
- Take shelter, preferably indoors away from windows.
- Avoid sheltering under trees, if outside.
- Move cars under cover or away from trees.
- Secure any loose objects around your property.
- Check that drains and gutters are clear.
- Be ready to slow down or stop, if driving.
During and after the storm, you should also:
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
- Avoid streams and drains as you may be swept away in flash flooding.
No other thunderstorms are expected for the rest of New Zealand during this time.