TODAY |

Submissions come down hard against private fireworks for Auckland

An overwhelming number of public submissions support a push by Auckland Council to have backyard fireworks banned, but the move is a waste of time, a fireworks retailer says.

The council will vote on Wednesday on whether they will ask the government to ban the private sale and use of fireworks, essentially limiting them to public displays.

It received 7954 public submissions on the possible ban late last year, with 89 percent supporting the move.

The biggest concern by far was safety - with nearly 70 percent of people who submitted worrying about harm to people or animals.

That was followed by noise and then the stockpiling of fireworks for use after the legal Guy Fawkes sales period.

"Sick of them going on for months after," said one submitter.

"Goes on for days. Cruel to animals. Dangerous," said another.

Council staff have recommended the elected councillors vote to support a ban.

The council does not have the power to ban fireworks itself, so needs to ask the government to change legislation.

However a firework retailer says the council is wasting its time on the issue.

Bad Boy Fireworks manager James York said he met with the council last week to express his concerns.

"We would like to know why they are basically wasting their time and I'm guessing rate-payer's money going ahead with this, you know pushing this issue, when the government has already come out and said it's not interested in it," Mr York said.

Last year Fire and Emergency received more than 100 firework-related calls on Guy Fawkes day, the highest number since 2012.

At the time, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the government were not actively reviewing fireworks rules.

rnz.co.nz

Source: 1 NEWS