Staff member given medical treatment after chemical fire at Warkworth Countdown

share

Source:

NZN

A fire that started when chlorine was thrown into a bin at a Countdown supermarket north of Auckland has been put out.

Countdown sign.

Source: 1 NEWS

The chemical started fuming in the Countdown Warkworth bin before it caught alight around 5.30am this morning.

Three fire engines and a hazmat crew helped extinguish the blaze, while one staff member was treated for sore eyes and complaints of a burning sensation on their face, a Fire Service spokesperson said.

A Countdown spokeswoman said a member of its safety team and a senior operations manager were on site investigating the incident. 

loading error

refresh