Pharmac slammed for u-turn on Keytruda funding after too many deaths

"We've watched people suffer and some people die while they've been waiting." Source: 1 NEWS

Air NZ plane returns to Palmerston North Airport after reports of smoke

An Air New Zealand flight to Christchurch returned to Palmerston North Airport after reports of smoke.

NZ8708 has since landed without incident.

A spokesman for the Fire Service said the pilot declared a full emergency after smoke appeared in the cabin.

Fire crews are now using a thermal imaging camera to investigate the plane.

The spokesman did not know what the cause of the smoke was, or whether anyone had been injured.



Sex and drug offender Mark Lyon's bid to quash convictions fails

Former playboy businessman and now convicted sex and drug offender Mark Lyon will remain behind bars after his appeal to overturn his convictions failed.

Mark Lyon Source: 1 NEWS

Sixty-year-old Lyon has been in prison since December 2014 after being found guilty of a range of sexual and drug-related  offences including the supply of methamphetamine to underage girls in exchange for sex.

One of the most serious offences involved kidnapping a woman, who was then chained up in a room known as the dungeon and sexually violated.

Lyon claimed his trial lawyer, Mark Ryan, was negligent, failing to follow Lyon's instructions during the trial.

But the Court of Appeal didn't agree.

Now ONE News can reveal attempts were made to buy off witnesses before Lyon's  trial.

Documents submitted during his appeal show how Lyon arranged for a friend, a prominent Auckland gangster, to approach at least three of his female victims to change their stories. At least two were offered tens of thousands of dollars to do so. 

The Court of Appeal judges found, "Mr Lyon had knowledge that two complainants had changed their account of events from those originally given to police".

In a revised statement to police one of his victims said, "After Mark Lyon was arrested I was visited by a friend of his [the gangster]. I was given $20,000 to do another statement about this case saying what I told the police wasn't true. I took the money and in October 2012 I made an affidavit contradicting my original interview. I only did this because I had been paid".

Another of Lyon's victims said her "revised" statement was provided to her by the gangster, who then took her to court to sign it.

Lyon's lawyer told the Court of Appeal that before the trial started Lyon was confident, telling him "these people aren't going to turn up" to give evidence.

In the end they all testified, leading to Lyon's 15- year sentence with a minimum non parole period of eight years.