No criminal charges will be laid following a police investigation into the death of a young Slovakian man who was shot by police in a central Auckland park last year.
David Cerven, aged 21, was shot in Myers Park on the night of Sunday August 2 after he had threatened police that he had a gun.
He was wanted over the armed robbery of three liquor stores on Auckland's North Shore during the previous week in which he had pulled out a knife.
Detective Superintendent Tim Anderson says an investigation into police practice, policy and procedure was still continuing but the criminal investigation is now complete.
"Police consider the actions of officers justified applying Section 48 of the Crimes Act to the circumstances surrounding this case," Mr Anderson said in a statement this afternoon.
The matter has been referred to the coroner.