A new testing centre is opening up in the Te Papa carpark today to help deal with the huge demand for tests in the Wellington CBD.
It's the second in Wellington's CBD, bringing much needed increased capacity after the site on Taranaki St was fully booked yesterday.
There are now 10 testing stations setup throughout the wider Wellington region.
The Ministry of Health said yesterday that of the 6999 tests carried out on Wednesday, 2100 of them were taken in Wellington.
Hutt Valley and Capital & Coast District Health Boards said it is estimated tests taken yesterday in the region will far exceed this.
Those numbers will be available later today.
People are continuing to be encouraged to book a test, as those who arrive without one may experience longer wait times as those who have an appointment, have been to a location of interest or are symptomatic are prioritised.
Booked appointments have reportedly made the swabbing process far smoother.
There are no Covid-19 cases in the city linked to the infected Australian visitor and you only need to get tested if you were at a location of interest, or have symptoms.
Testing locations in the Wellington region:
- Taranaki St, 196-200 Taranaki St. Open 8am to 6pm until Sunday. May be fully booked so check here.
- Te Papa car park, 55 Cable St. Open 8am to 9pm today, 9am to 6pm tomorrow and Sunday.
- Wellington Hospital, car park by Te Hopai, off Mein St. Open 8am to 9pm until Sunday.
- Hataitai Park, Ruahine St. Open 10am to 6pm until Sunday.
- Karori Medical Centre, 11 Parkvale Rd. Open 1pm to 5pm today.
- Johnsonville, 24 Moorefield Rd. Open 9.30am to 5pm until Sunday.
- Lower Hutt, 729 High St. Open 9am to 4pm today.
- Lower Hutt Pop Up, Riverside Parking. Open 9am to 6pm tomorrow and Sunday at this stage.
- Upper Hutt Heretaunga Christian Centre, 51 Lane St. Check here to see if any opening times are added.
- Cannons Creek, 178 Bedford St. Open 8am to 5pm until Sunday.
- Kāpiti Team Medical, Coastlands Shopping Centre. Open 12.30pm to 5pm until Sunday.