Man Tasered, trains delayed after vehicle fleeing police drives onto Auckland train platform

Four people have been arrested following a fleeing driver incident which led to a medical event that stopped several train lines in Auckland today.

A stolen car which was driven on to the train platform at Middlemore Station in Auckland. Source: Twitter / Ben Ross

It comes after police spotted a vehicle which had previously been reported as stolen in Panmure shortly before 10.45am, police said.

The vehicle was monitored by patrol cars, while the Police Eagle helicopter monitored the car from overhead.

Your playlist will load after this ad

The fleeing driver incident ended at Middlemore station with four arrests and the driver suffering a medical event. Source: 1 NEWS

As the vehicle was being monitored, the car fled from police.

The car was then observed by the Police Eagle helicopter driving dangerously across east Auckland as the driver swerved lanes and drove into oncoming traffic, police said.

The fleeing vehicle then travelled through Mount Wellington and Otahuhu, where, at one point, it collided with a member of the public’s vehicle at the intersection of Atkinson Ave and Princes Street.

The occupants of the other vehicle were not injured in the incident.

The driver continued to flee, before driving onto the platform at Middlemore train station.

Officers then attempted to arrest the four occupants of the vehicle, during which a police officer deployed a Taser while attempting to apprehend the driver.

The man subsequently had a medical event and first aid has immediately been given. The driver has been transported to hospital in a serious condition.

Three people who were passengers in the vehicle were arrested and taken into custody. 

Two of them, women aged 20, have been released without charge, and the other, a 16-year-old male, will be referred to Youth Aid.

Police say the alleged driver of the vehicle, a 31-year-old man, remains in hospital under scene guard but is no longer in a serious condition.

He is expected to be released later today and will be facing charges over failing to stop, endangering transport, resisting police,  unlawfully taking a vehicle, assault with a blunt instrument and driving while suspended.

Police say inquiries into the fleeing driver incident are ongoing.

Train services across Auckland's Eastern and Southern lines were delayed or cancelled but resumed at 2pm.