Jacinda Ardern and Donald Trump discuss Neve, Korea and tariffs during UN chat

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has briefly spoken with US President Donald Trump this morning while the pair attended the United Nations.

Both Ms Ardern and partner Clarke Gayford attended a Manhattan function put on by Mr Trump last night before the Kiwi leader posed for a photo with her American opposite.

The two then had a brief conversation.

From New York, the PM also announced a big funding boost for the Pacific. Source: 1 NEWS

Mr Trump took time to congratulate Ms Ardern on the birth of daughter Neve while she acknowledged his political efforts in the Korean Peninsula.

Ms Ardern also used the short conversation as a chance to promote the work of New Zealand and US officials on the lifting of steel and aluminium tariffs.

The pair were in the UN General Assembly as the general debate got underway this morning but their paths didn't cross again.

The UN general assembly found the US President's boasting entertaining. Source: Associated Press

The Prime Minister sat during Mr Trump's 30-minute speech this morning in which he spoke about Iran and the International Criminal Court. He was also left speechless after the General Assembly laughed at his claims about his administration's successes.

"I didn't expect that reaction, but that's OK," he said.

The Prime Minister has been busy at the UN and doing interviews in New York. Source: Breakfast


US woman who cut baby from her neighbour's womb says her boyfriend pressured her for a child

A North Dakota woman convicted of killing her pregnant neighbour by cutting the baby from her womb testified today that her boyfriend had pressured her to "produce a baby" after figuring out she had lied about being pregnant.

Brooke Crews told the court that she had concocted a phony pregnancy to keep from losing William Hoehn, who is on trial for conspiracy in the August 2017 death of 22-year-old Savanna Greywind. Hoehn has admitted helping to cover up the crime, but says he didn't know that Crews had planned to kill Ms Greywind and take her baby. Crews testified that she never "explicitly" told Hoehn that was her plan.

Crews said Hoehn appeared surprised when he entered the bathroom in their apartment and discovered she had cut Ms Greywind's baby from her body. Crews said Hoehn then retrieved a rope and tightened it around Ms Greywind's neck, saying: "If she wasn't dead before, she is now."

Ms Greywind's daughter survived and is being raised by family.

Hoehn spoke regularly with his attorney, Daniel Borgen, during Crews' testimony but showed little emotion. Crews was crying and sniffling throughout.

"You never told Will that you had planned to do this, is that right?" Borgen asked.

"Not kill Savanna for her baby, no," Crews replied.

"In fact, there was never a conversation at all about killing Savanna and taking her baby," Borgen said.

"Not explicitly," she said.

It wasn't immediately clear what Crews meant by "explicitly".

Crews described her relationship with Hoehn as rocky and violent, saying it was fuelled by drugs and alcohol. She said they broke up at one point, and that's when she lied to him about being pregnant. She went so far as to email him a phony positive pregnancy test and sonogram photo.

In early August, Hoehn told Crews he didn't believe she was pregnant and said she needed "to produce a baby". Crews said she believed this was "an ultimatum".

"I took that to mean I better have a baby, no matter how it happened," Crews said.

Crews originally told police that Ms Greywind had given her the child. She later told police they had argued and that she pushed Ms Greywind down and knocked her out before cutting her open. A medical examiner testified Monday that there was no evidence of any head injuries.

Crews stuck to her story today, saying she pushed Greywind, who was knocked out when her head hit the bathroom sink. Crews said that's when she got a knife and began cutting the baby out.

Crews said the couple kept ropes around the house because Hoehn liked to tie her up during sex, including around her neck. She also said Hoehn expressed fantasies about killing people and Crews said she initially told him she would be interested in that too.

The medical examiner who performed the autopsy, Dr Victor Froloff, testified yesterday that he isn't sure whether Greywind died from blood loss or strangulation.

Ms Greywind's disappearance sparked several searches before her body was found several days later, shrouded in plastic and dumped in the Red River. Crews testified today that police missed Ms Greywind's body and her baby during three searches of the couple's apartment.

Crews testified that Ms Greywind's body was in the bathroom closet and the baby was covered up next to Hoehn on a bed during one of those searches. She said Hoehn eventually moved Ms Greywind's body to a hollowed-out dresser and the two of them carried it out of the apartment.

Fargo Police Chief David Todd did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment on Crews' testimony.

Crews pleaded guilty to murder and is serving life in prison without parole. She said she has no agreement with prosecutors for a lesser sentence in exchange for testifying.

Ms Greywind's death prompted North Dakota Sen. Heidi Heitkamp to introduce Savanna's Act, which aims to improve tribal access to federal crime information databases and create standardized protocols for responding to cases of missing and slain Native American women. A similar bill has been introduced in the House.

FILE - This combination of file photos provided by the Cass County Sheriff's Office in Fargo, N.D., shows William Hoehn, and his girlfriend Brooke Crews, the two people charged in connection with the murder of Savanna Greywind in North Dakota in August 2017. Greywind was eight months pregnant. Crews, ultimately admitted killing Greywind and cutting her baby from her womb. Hoehn, goes on trial Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018, for conspiracy to commit murder. He has admitted helping cover up Greywind's murder. (Cass County Sheriff's Office via AP, File)
William Hoehn and his girlfriend Brooke Crews. Source: Associated Press


Priest who blamed sex abuse on cancer, which he didn't actually have, to stand trial

A former New Mexico priest, who fled the US decades ago amid allegations of child sex abuse and once blamed his behaviour on a cancer diagnosis which prosecutors say he didn't have, is scheduled to appear in court tomorrow.

Arthur Perrault is expected to appear in US District Court in Albuquerque for a detention hearing as prosecutors seek to hold the 80-year-old priest until his trial for aggravated sexual abuse.

Court documents filed in federal court said victims described Perrault showering them with gifts and meals before abusing them. Victims also collaboratively described Perrault as someone who smoked pipes and wore silk underwear.

Documents also said the Connecticut-born Perrault wrote an apology letter to the parents of one victim in 1971 and blamed his actions on cancer, which prosecutors said he was never diagnosed with.

Perrault was extradited to New Mexico last week from Morocco in connection with sexual abuse cases that are alleged to have taken place between 1991 and 1992 at Kirtland Air Force Base and Santa Fe National Cemetery.

The former Catholic priest in the Archdiocese of Santa Fe and a former Air Force chaplain has been charged in a federal indictment with seven counts of aggravated sexual abuse and abusive sexual contact.

Perrault pleaded not guilty in his first court appearance Friday. He also told a US magistrate judge he'd had a stroke three years ago, was deaf in one ear, and had trouble walking.

Perrault, a one-time pastor at St. Bernadette parish in Albuquerque, is one of many priests sent to New Mexico in the 1960s from around the country for treatment involving paedophilia.

Victims, lawyers and church documents show the priests were later assigned to parishes and schools across New Mexico — especially in small Native American and Hispanic communities.

Perrault vanished in 1992, just days before an attorney filed two lawsuits against the archdiocese alleging Perrault had sexually assaulted seven children at his parish.

The FBI said Perrault first fled to Canada and then to Tangier, Morocco, where he worked until last year at an English-language school for children.

Perrault denied abusing children in a handwritten letter to a judge related to sexual abuse lawsuits in Albuquerque. Perrault said his assets included money from military retirement and Social Security.

Church records released last year by a New Mexico judge show Perrault is also accused in state lawsuits of sexually abusing at least 38 boys in other cases.

Records also show Perrault was sent in 1965 to Servants of the Paraclete — a religious order that ran a treatment centre for paedophile priests in Jemez Springs, New Mexico — after he was accused of molesting young men while serving in Connecticut.

FILE - Perrault, who fled the U.S. decades ago amid allegations of child sex abuse and once blamed his behavior on a cancer diagnosis which prosecutors say he didn't have, is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2018. (The Albuquerque Journal via AP, File)
This 1989 file photo shows Father Arthur Perrault in Albuquerque, N.M. Source: Associated Press

Woman dies after collision between her motor scooter and car in Rotorua

A woman has died following a collision in Rotorua yesterday between the motor scooter she was driving and a car.

The crash occurred at the intersection of Arawa St and Rangiuru St shortly after 8am.

Police say the Serious Crash Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash. 

Police car Source: 1 NEWS