Malcolm Rewa found guilty of killing Susan Burdett in 1992

Serial rapist Malcolm Rewa has been found guilty of killing Susan Burdett in 1992 at her home in Auckland.

This month's trial at the High Court in Auckland was the third time Rewa has been tried for Ms Burdett's murder.

The Crown case was presented by Gareth Kayes and the defence lawyer was Paul Chambers, with Justice Venning presiding.

Rewa was convicted of raping Ms Burdett in 1998, but two separate juries were not able to decide whether or not he had also killed her.

In 1998, Teina Pora was already in prison for Ms Burdett's rape and murder, but in 2015 Mr Pora's convictions were quashed and he received $3.5 million from the Government for the 21 years he wrongly spent in prison.

A pathologist told the jury during the trial that Ms Burdett suffered extensive injuries to her head, including multiple fractures and lacerations to her skull.

Dr Simon Stables said the injuries could have been caused by a baseball bat.

The court heard how Ms Burdett kept a baseball bat by her bed for protection, and that baseball bat was discovered close to her body on her bed.

Justice Venning thanks jurors for their service, and offered to excuse them from jury duty for the next ten years.

He will be sentenced on March 26.

Ms Burdett's brother Jim Burdett said the guilty verdict confirms that the "right person is in the right place for the right reason".

He said it's been hard seeing his sister's character besmirched in court by Rewa.

Mr Burdett referred to the wrongful conviction of Teina Pora, saying "the fact so many lives have been damaged by one person is just sad".

Police Detective Superintendent Dave Lynch said in a statement that police welcome the verdict, and were thankful to the witnesses who came forward.

"We appreciate it has been both difficult and traumatic for people having to relive their experiences of the case some 26 years later," he said.

"I also want to acknowledge the Crown and Police investigation team for their work over the better part of the last two years preparing this case for trial."

    Your playlist will load after this ad

    Two previous trials couldn’t find him guilty, but an Auckland jury took less than four hours of deliberation today. Source: 1 NEWS