Live stream: National buoyed by extra questions from Greens take aim at government during Question Time

Simon Bridges and his team will ask the tough questions of Labour in the House today. Source: Other

Topics



Powerball winners claim $7.2 million Silverdale prize after having ticket in drawer for 11 days

Silverdale's missing millionaires have come forward and claimed their $7.2 million Powerball prize almost two weeks after their big win. 

The couple, who Lotto say they wish to remain anonymous, first heard the jackpot had been struck just days after the draw and joked they might be the winners but didn't actually check their ticket.

"The win was all over Facebook, so you really couldn't miss it. When my husband asked if I’d heard that a big Powerball prize had been won, I grabbed the ticket out of my handbag and waved it in front of him and jokingly said, 'Yip - this is the winning ticket',” said the winner. 

But instead of checking the ticket, the winner simply tucked the little yellow piece of paper back in a drawer along with a pile of old Lotto tickets.  

As the week went on, the couple took some time to imagine what they'd do if they really did have the winning ticket - all while the $7.2 million ticket was safely squirreled away.

"We talked about it throughout the week here and there - what we'd do, who we'd help… that kind of thing. We had a bit of a lucky feeling about our ticket but nothing serious enough to actually check it," laughed the winner. 

It wasn’t until the winner went to the shops at the weekend that she finally got around to checking the lucky ticket - and she discovered just how much it was worth. 

"I was going to the shops anyway, so thought I’d dig out the pile of tickets I had tucked in a drawer. As I checked them, I had a few small wins here and there - and then I scanned this ticket and saw 'First Division winner' appear on the screen," said the winner. 

Not wanting to claim the prize without her husband, she jumped back in the car and headed home to find out just how lucky they had become. 

"I kept telling myself that it would just be a small prize - a nice little win. I was doing everything I could to just keep calm and get home," said the winner. 

"Then I looked the results up online and checked them against my ticket - the winning line jumped out at me and I popped a little star beside it. Not that I really needed to - I’ll never forget what it looked like."

When the winner’s husband arrived home, she said she had something to show him and handed over their iPad along with the winning ticket.

"We looked at each other and it kind of felt like confirmation - we’d been talking about it all week, then there it was, as real as anything. It was a totally surreal moment, but also felt right," said the winner’s husband.  

With the winnings now safely in their bank account, the lucky couple are looking forward to working out what to do with their winnings. 

"We’re going to take our time - we feel very lucky and want to make sure the winnings last, both for us and our kids," the winner said. 

The winning Powerball ticket for the Wednesday 12 September Lotto draw was sold at Pak'nSave Silverdale, in north Auckland.

Lotto players around the country have been on a winning streak lately, and with a $2.5 million Powerball prize from Hastings yet to be claimed, Lotto NZ is urging players to check their tickets.  

The unclaimed $2.5 million Powerball winning ticket was purchased at Countdown Hastings for the draw on Wednesday, September 19. 

Anyone who bought their ticket from Countdown Hastings should write their name on the back of the ticket and check it immediately at any Lotto outlet, online at mylotto.co.nz or through the Lotto NZ App. 

The winning $7.2 million Lotto Powerball ticket. Source: Supplied


Topics

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

Victoria University's council votes in favour of name change but there's opposition from some students

Victoria University is pushing forward with a name change to become University of Wellington.

The university's council made its final decision at a packed-out meeting today.

Councillors voted nine votes to two in support of the name change.

Education Minister Chris Hipkins will need to see "demonstrable support" for the name change to sign-off the move.

A spokesperson for Toihuarewa, which represents Māori academic interests, said the proposal to adopt Te Herenga Waka as the Māori name for the university has been received postively by the community and said it was a good step.

While stakeholders like Wellington City Council support the university's name changing to University of Wellington, the majority of past and present students that have submitted on the proposal have opposed the move.

Victoria University Students Association present Marlon Drake said consultation seemed like a box-ticking exercise and most of the university's 22,000 students had not submitted on the proposal.

For those that did, some of the reasons they oppose the change was that the cost would be better spent on improving education and mental health support, that consultation hasn't been carried out sufficiently and that the reputation that comes with Victoria University's name will be lost.

In a previous meeting, the university's council said commissioned research showed it was a good move with reported positive effects from other universities that had moved to simplified names.

Vice-Chancellor Grant Guilford said he sympathised with those that held a strong connection to the university's current name but called the change to University of Wellington a "fundamental step" in holding a "strong global reputation" in a time when universities around the world are facing financial pressure.

Mr Guilford called the current name a key constraint that causes confusion.

He said Victoria University does not reflect the university and it's connection with Wellington.

"We don't believe we have been submissive. We have read every single submission... The fact that we don't agree shouldn't be a sign that we have been dismissive," he said.

Professor Geoff McLay criticised the consultation process during today's meeting, saying it was "frankly a document that screws the scrum".

He said significant opposition from the community has not been considered and strongly opposed the planned name change himself.

"This is not a matter of nostalgia or romanticism although the Vice-Chancellor may discourage it as some," he said.

"The submissions have told you a similar story of identity from thousands."

He said international students, the very people the name change was hoped to attract, opposed the move.

Wellington, New Zealand - February 25, 2013: Victoria University of Wellington on February 25, 2013. Victoria has been ranked 225th in the World's Top 500 universities by the QS World University Ranking(2010).
Victoria University. Source: istock.com

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

'Disgusting' treatment says woman forced to give birth to dead baby at Rotorua Hospital with no help

A complaint has been made to the Health and Disability Commission over the case of a woman who was forced to give birth to a stillborn child with no medical help at Rotorua Hospital.

Jamie Bowman sat in the room holding her dead baby boy for 25 minutes afterwards.

Stuff reports the Taupō woman's ordeal started eight days earlier, on March 1, when she had a scan and found her baby's heart had stopped beating.

She was referred to Rotorua Hospital obstetrics the next day for a dilation and curettage.

Ms Bowman said she had to explain to four or five staff members why she was there, was told another scan was, then wasn't needed, and eventually told to go home by an obstetrician who said he was only training.

Ms Bowman returned to Rotorua Hospital five days later to take the first of two pills that manage late miscarriages.

"By then he had already been dead inside me for who knows how long," Ms Bowman said.

Her mother drove her to Rotorua Hospital for her second dose on March 8, but she went into labour on the way and was told on arrival the nurses were changing shifts and would help when they could.

Ms Bowman gave birth soon after with only her mother there.

"It is absolutely disgusting people can treat mothers this way and get away with it. We were left completely alone and not a single person wanted to help," Ms Bowman said.

A complaint has been made to the Health and Disability Commission.

Lakes District Health Board said Ms Bowman's treatment is being investigated.

"Lakes DHB always regrets when patients do not have a good experience during their visit to one of our hospitals," the board's risk and clinical governance director Dr Sharon Kletchko told Stuff.

"We sincerely regret any distress for this patient and her partner." 

Pregnancy


Washout could affect Napier to Wairoa railway reopening

Kiwirail could have to delay the re-opening of the Napier to Wairoa railway line after recent severe weather has washed out part of the track.

An section of the track is suspended in mid-air after heavy rain earlier this month washed the earth out from beneath it.

"The washout happened just north of Raupunga during the severe weather which hit the region earlier this month. It extends over a distance of around 45 metres," a spokesperson from Kiwirail said.

"Our teams are continuing to assess the damage and any impact it may have on the planned reopening date for the line."

Kiwirail initially stated the mothballed logging line would be back in action by December. 

About 50 metres of track was undermined by heavy rain, potentially delaying the line's reopening. Source: 1 NEWS