Ten primary school children in Carterton have been taken to Wairarapa Hospital after a plane is thought to have accidentally sprayed the school with pesticide.
The incident happened at approximately 1pm at South End School in the town.
Wellington Free Ambulance says 10 children with moderate symptoms have been transported to the hospital in Masterton and paramedics are treating 40 other people - children and adults - with very minor symptoms.
Four ambulances and a Lifeflight helicopter are being used, Geoff Procter of Wellington Free Ambulance said.
“We are taking a precautionary approach. All the children and their families are being well looked after with extra food and water," he said.
One-hundred-and-seven people are going through a decontamination process, consisting of washing down, and fresh dry clothes, Mr Procter said.
"The decontamination process takes a while. We’re all here and on hand to make sure everyone is safe and well.”
Symptoms the affected children have are generally low-level, consisting of nausea, vomiting and itchy eyes, he said.
Mr Procter advises that if anyone‘s condition deteriorates, call 111.
Parents have been seen arriving at the school with a change of clothes and children are slowly coming out one by one in towels.
Carterton Fire senior station officer Wayne Robinson said local people have been presenting to the local medical centre after the incident.
A 1 NEWS reporter at the scene says there are numerous appliances there and roads are blocked in several directions.
NZ First MP Ron Mark who lives in Carterton has told 1 NEWS it seems a plane has accidentally sprayed the school with pesticide.
Police say they are investigating and are going door to door in the area checking on residents' welfare and trying to locate the source of the smell.
They are also searching the school's grounds.
Carterton District Mayor John Booth says parents are very worried.
A statement on the school's Facebook page read: "A plane flew in a southward direction and one student had seen 'stuff' coming out of the plane - so we assume it was a fertiliser of some sort - several students have experienced feeling quezzy and ucky."
Housing New Zealand is promising to take a considered approach to compensating those who were turfed out of their homes unecessarily.
As many as 800 current and former state house tenants will be eligible for some form of assistance, following a report released by the agency yesterday acknowledging it was wrong to evict them on the basis of methamphetamine contamination.
That could range from an apology from Housing New Zealand, to cancellation of meth-related debt and repayment, to a grant for household items and moving costs.
The Housing Minister Phil Twyford expects that to be in the $2-$3,000 range.
"But it's going to be done on a case-by-case basis, so it could end up in certain circumstances being more than that. So several thousand dollars, likely," he said.
The agency is undergoing a range of changes. On Friday Mr Twyford announced the Government would enshrine in law the objectives of Housing New Zealand, which he said overall are "to provide decent housing and be a fair and compassionate landlord."
Part of the change is scrapping the requirement for the agency to return a surplus to the Government.
Mr Twyford said this will give Housing New Zealand financial flexibility, so it can build more state houses and invest in more support for tenants.
But an Associate Professor at Massey University Chris Wilkins, who heads the drug research team at SHORE & Whariki Research Centre, is questioning the decision not to provide blanket compensation to state housing tenants - saying it could save the agency money.
He predicts issues in finding evidence of tenants using methamphetamine and being responsible for it, given it is now accepted that the standard for safety is much higher.
Mr Twyford said the standard for receiving a pay out is based on the former chief science advisor Sir Peter Gluckman's report [ https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/political/358454/meth-house-contamination-debunked-by-pm-s-science-advisor], which said levels 10 times higher than the ones people were evicted for were still unlikely to have adverse effects on health.
Mr Wilkins said court action could be likely, if Housing New Zealand refuses compensation for some tenants.
"I think that's a real possibility. Given that they're not paying out too much, and there's a lot of fault here from both the scientific view and the policy development view and the agencies that carried out the policy...
"If I was Housing New Zealand, I'd look for a way to basically resolve this as quickly as possible and try and make good on some of those issues."
Housing New Zealand is encouraging all those who may be eligible for an assistance pay out to contact a dedicated Meth Line on 0800 006 077 or email email@example.com.
It said this will be a "genuine process" and that the team will take a "comprehensive, considered approach to how the right form of assistance is assessed for our tenants."
The Ministry of Education is encouraging parents to complain to a Hamilton high school if they're concerned by it's principal's remarks to students that truants are highly likely to be rape or suicide victims.
Fraser High School principal Virginia Crawford's speech to a full school assembly yesterday already has some parents vowing to pull their children from the school.
In her speech which was secretly recorded by a student and uploaded to YouTube, Ms Crawford said in part: "Every student who walks out of the gate to truant is already a statistic of the worst kind - highly likely to go to prison, either commit domestic violence or be a victim of domestic violence, be illiterate, be a rape victim, be a suicide victim."
The Ministry of Education has told Newshub it has been in contact with the school following Ms Crawford's speech.
"We are aware that some of the comments made by the principal have been upsetting to some people," the ministry's deputy secretary sector enablement and support Katrina Casey said in a statement.
"The school has a complaints process in place and we would encourage any parents who are concerned about the content of the speech to contact the school directly."
In her speech, Ms Crawford said: "When I drive out of school during class time for meetings, and I see groups of students sitting outside the dairy, fish and chip shop, bus stop, some of the things I am thinking is that is another group of students without a future."
She urged students to work hard in school to make better lives for themselves.
Ms Casey said it's really important that children go to school every day, saying international surveys have shown that attendance is one of the strongest drivers of student achievement.
It appears, however that Ms Crawford's speech has backfired with angry students now said to be planning a "mass wag".
A staff member told Newshub students had mentioned they're planning on wagging next week, probably for one period.
A parent commenting on the YouTube video, said they would pull their daughter out of the school, describing the principal's speech as disturbing, revolting and tormenting.
"This revolting tormenting speech has only proven that YOU madam principal are the FAILURE in this matter. Disgusting inappropriate accusations. I'm pulling my daughter out until you are replaced," the parent wrote.
Another commenter said his stepson would no longer attend Fraser High School after hearing the speech.
“After seeing this speech I was literally shaking, this kind of offensive culture should not be permitted in New Zealand,” he wrote.
Fraser High School Board of Trustees chair Jeff Green has told Stuff the school has received a "great deal of positive feedback on the speech".
"We consider that even if just one student reconsiders the path they are taking and takes steps in a more positive direction after this speech then that could have huge impact on their future lives and those of their family and friends and the wider community, Mr Green said in a statement.
Meanwhile a Year 12 student, Cody Barron, told Newshub one girl started crying in the assembly.
"When you go to a school, you don't expect to hear your principal be talking trash about suburbs 90 percent of the students come from - which seemed to be racial - and how she's so much better than us," Cody said.
"There's no doubt, if you're smoking this stuff, you're gambling with your life."
That's the stark warning to users of synthetic cannabis from an emergency room doctor in Christchurch after a "nasty batch" of the drug has caused 10 people to overdose in the city in the last 48 hours.
Dr Mark Gilbert said there are eight people still critically ill and "we can’t guarantee they’ll live".
The people were unconscious when they arrived at the emergency room, the doctor said.
"When the patients come to the emergency room, we're finding they're in various states of unconsciousness, they can’'t really tell us anything, we get very little information, sometimes no information."
He offered a stark warning to people using synthetic cannabis.
"There’s no doubt, if you’re smoking this stuff, you’re gambling with your life," he said.
"We’d strongly advise that particularly at the moment, where there seems to be a bad batch in Christchurch, that people stay away from smoking even small amounts of this."
"It seems there's no safe level of this drug to smoke."
Dr Gilbert said it appeared the "bad batch" of the drug being sold was "causing particularly severe affects".
He went on to say: "The symptoms of this range in severity, but they generally start off with some agitation and confusion then precede to coma and seizures and in severe cases, cardiac rhythm disturbances and this can precede to cardiac arrest and death," he said.