TODAY |

Lighting a cigarette after huffing caused explosion which left teens fighting for life in South Auckland

Two teenagers have been critically injured following an explosion at an Auckland apartment block this morning.

Emergency services were called to the property on Clayton Ave, in Ōtara, at around 2.50am following multiple reports from people hearing an explosion.

A Fire and Emergency spokesperson has confirmed one of the patients was huffing a substance and then lit a cigarette, causing the explosion.

The 16-year-old patients, one male and one female, have been transported to Middlemore Hospital.

One patient, who was hospitalised in a serious condition, has since become critical, a Counties Manukau Health spokesperson told 1 NEWS.

A police spokesperson said flames were seen flickering from the property.

Senior station officer Brendon Irwin told 1 NEWS that the property is now a crime scene and police will be investigating.


Emergency services were called to the property on Clayton Ave, in Ōtara, at around 2.50am following multiple reports from people hearing an explosion