The decision date on whether or not New Zealand moves to Alert Level 1 is being brought forward as Kiwis have exceeded expectations in the effort to stamp out Covid-19, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says.
Cabinet will now discuss the move earlier than expected, on June 8, after Ms Ardern told TVNZ1's Breakfast this morning discussions were had with the Ministry of Health and Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield at the weekend.
Ms Ardern's comments come after 10 consecutive days without any new Covid-19 cases in New Zealand.
There is just one active case.
"We're exceeding our expectations in terms of our progress which is a fantastic position to be in," Ms Ardern said.
"We'd always said at the very latest that we would be out by the 22nd, that was when we were looking at making some of those decisions, based on what we’re starting to see we’ve discussed bringing forward that decision until the 8th of June.
"That's what I'll be suggesting to Cabinet today, and that's based on just the progress we’ve been making but also the comfort of the Director-General of Health."
So far in New Zealand, 22 people have died of Covid-19. There has been 1504 cases, made up of 1154 confirmed and 350 probable cases.
Moving forward, Ms Ardern said it was important to keep testing numbers up.
"People are probably feeling a bit more relaxed, people are perhaps less likely to be going and getting tests so we are going to have to put in some extra effort on our side to make sure we keep those testing rates up because that's what continues to give us that reassurance that we are in the place we believe we are in."