'I'm just worried that I won't see' - Dunedin man's eye hit by debris at public fireworks display

A Dunedin man is facing the prospect of blindness in one eye after being struck by debris at the city’s public fireworks display.

Wayne Boss was watching the city council-run fireworks display when the rogue piece of debris hit his right eye, throwing him to the ground.

“I’m looking up at the Dunedin council Octagon building where the fireworks are being set off and it's black obviously. And just for a split second I saw an object which I thought was a spent rocket. But we are talking milliseconds because then I get a blow to my right eye which was so hard it just floored me.”

Wayne’s son Ben also saw the object come out of the sky but wasn’t sure what it was.

“I turned my head in a matter of milliseconds, I saw the object strike him in the eye.”

“It looked like debris or a fragment or some black object that was moving very quickly from the sky.”

The family were driven to the hospital by police where eye surgeons performed surgery until 4am.

However the damage is so significant, Wayne may not regain his sight.

If you can’t enforce a safe display it shouldn’t really be going on - Ben Boss

“I’ve just been back to see the eye surgeon and he said the lens is at the rear of my eye, the pupil is in three parts and it will need at least another two operations, and well, he said a very long time recovery. I’m just worried that I won’t see.”

A keen cyclist and skier, Wayne and his family were planning on going to Japan this year.

“Even the surgeon's absolutely shocked by what’s occurred and the damage to my eye. And it should have been just an enjoyable time. We only planned to be there half an hour and go home.”

Wayne has spoken to WorkSafe about the incident and he and his family want answers as to what went wrong.

“You go to events like that because they are meant to be safe. It’s a public event and people go there so they can experience fireworks in a safe environment where they don’t have to deal with them themselves. And if you can’t enforce a safe display it shouldn’t really be going on,” Ben Boss told 1 NEWS.

A WorkSafe spokesperson says they are making preliminary inquiries into the incident to determine whether they will investigate.

A Dunedin council spokesperson says the council fully supports the response of WorkSafe NZ in investigating the incident and awaits the outcomes and any recommendations on its completion. 

Wayne Boss's pupil is in three parts after the incident at the city council-run fireworks display. Source: 1 NEWS

Man in serious condition following assault near Christchurch mall

A 41-year-old man is in a serious but stable condition in a Christchurch hospital, following an attack in the early hours this morning.

Police have cordoned off an area beside the Hornby Mall, on Shands Road, for a scene examination.

It is expected to be cleared by midday today.

Police are continuing to investigate the scene to establish what occurred.

Source: 1 NEWS


Police in stand-off with man barricaded in Huntly house

Police are currently involved in an ongoing stand-off in Huntly, which started around 2am this morning.

The eight-hour stand off began when police were called to a home on Harris St, where a man and woman had been fighting.

Upon arriving at the scene, police found the man had locked himself inside and was refusing to come out. 

At 9am, he was still refusing to come out of the home and police negotiators are currently on site, Waikato police Senior Sergeant Charles Burgess told Stuff.

"He's barricaded himself in the house and is threatening to harm himself," Senior Sergeant Burgess said.

He's not known to have access to any guns, Burgess said but does have access to knives and other items inside the home. 

"A police negotiation team are trying to speak to the man so we can bring an end to this event."

A section of the road has been cordoned off and detours are in place.

No one else is inside the home and no one has been injured.

Police emergency scene
Police emergency scene Source: 1 NEWS


Truck rolls causes road closure in Tararua

A truck has rolled in Tararua and is blocking lanes in both directions.

The truck rolled on Pahiatua Aokautere Road, also known as the Pahiatua Track, about 7.40am this morning.

The driver sustained moderate injuries. 

No other vehicles were involved.

Police are advising motorists to use an alternative route.

A road closure sign in front of a Police vehicle
A road closure sign in front of a Police vehicle. Source: 1 NEWS

Man dies in overnight crash near Gisborne

A man has died following a crash involving a car and truck on State Highway 35 near Gisborne last night.

The driver of the car died at the scene.

Emergency services were called to the scene near Makarori Beach Road at around 9pm.

The road was closed overnight, for the Serious Crash Unit to investigate, but has since been reopened.

Police car generic.
Police car generic. Source: 1 NEWS