'He couldn't swim' – daughter speaks about tragic death of parents who drowned after being swept off rocks at Muriwai Beach

The daughter of the refugee couple who died after they were swept off the rocks at Auckland's Muriwai Beach yesterday has spoken about the tragic incident as a Givealittle page has been setup to help the family.

Mu Thu Pa Ukay and her husband Kay Dah Ukay died yesterday after falling into the sea while on a fishing trip.

Their 13-year-old daughter Tha Dah Paw was at the beach at the time and saw the incident unfold.

Mu Thu Pa and Kay Dah Ukay died after falling into the water at West Auckland’s dangerous Muriwai Beach. Source: 1 NEWS

"[My father] couldn't swim. He was drowning and these waves were crashing," she told 1 NEWS today.

The couple were Burmese refugees from the Karen State, who migrated to New Zealand 10 years ago.

Another daughter, Dah Htoo, said the nine siblings were being supported by members of the Karen community in Auckland.

A Givealittle page has now been started up for the Ukay family.

Muriwai lifeguard Tim Jago said it's a "deceptively treacherous" spot.

"The edge of the rock tapers away sharply, and so people walk out onto that taper and just slide and go in. The rocks themselves are vertical once you're in the water, you've got no hand holds, there's no way back up," Mr Jago said.

The husband and wife were dressed for winter, "with multiple layers on."

"They were heavy in the water.

"They were about 10 strokes from being able to self-rescue but they had absolutely no swimming ability and they were just incorrectly dressed for what they were doing.

"They had no flotation or ability to swim."

The tragedy has sparked calls from the Burmese community to signpost the beach with warnings in Burmese to avoid future tragedies occurring.

Tha Dah Paw was at the Auckland beach and saw the incident unfold. Source: 1 NEWS

The haka group bringing Māori culture to Melbourne - 'It helps us connect with New Zealand'

A kids’ haha group is keeping the Māori culture alive and well in Melbourne.

Melbourne has become the home to many Māori, however passing on Māori culture and customs down through the generations in a foreign country is difficult.

But one small community in the suburb of Cranbourne is doing its part to keep the culture alive.

Te Karere visited Ngā Whetū a Hawaiki in Melbourne to see how they are teaching the next generation their culture.

Ngā Whetū a Hawaiki is helping Māori living in Australia to reconnect to their culture. Source: Te Karere


Waikato police investigate three recent gang-linked homicides

Police in Waikato are in the midst of three homicide investigations, all of which are believed to be gang linked.

Over 60 staff are working on the cases, and other specialists have been called in from around New Zealand.

On Saturday July 8, 23-year-old Robert Nelson was shot dead at his girlfriend's house. She was injured and another young man badly hurt.

Robert Nelson was fatally shot early Sunday, with two others, including his girlfriend, seriously hurt. Source: 1 NEWS

The body of Ngāruawāhia man Mitchell Curtis Rehua Paterson was found in the water at McLaren Falls near Tauranga on Friday.

Three people have been arrested in connection to Paterson's death.

A 27-year-old man, has been charged with being an accessory after the fact to murder. A 49-year-old man has been charged with presenting a firearm at police and unlawful possession of a firearm. And a 33-year-old man has been charged with breach of release conditions.

Late last month Huntly man Wayne Noda was found dead at his home on June 30, and police believe his injuries were inflicted during an assault.

"These are complex investigations that take time however we are confident that they will be resolved and those responsible will be held to account," said Superintendent Bruce Bird, Waikato District Commander in a statement. 

"Across the investigations there are a number of people assisting Police and there are also persons of interest. Investigations to date indicate that these people have significant links with criminal gangs."

"As with all investigations we are keeping an open mind on whether the homicides are linked, however inquiries to date lead us to believe the three deaths were targeted individual acts within the gang community," said Superintendent Bird.

A 23-year-old man was killed and his girlfriend is one two other people fighting for their lives in hospital after the shooting at a Melville property. Source: 1 NEWS