1 NEWS' live coverage of the aftermath from the Christchurch terror attacks on Friday afternoon which left 50 people dead.
What we know so far:
Fifty people are confirmed dead in the shootings which took place at two mosques in Christchurch on Friday, including two children.
Fifty others were injured with nine of those people in a critical condition in hospital.
Jacinda Ardern has announced gun law reforms will be announced by next Monday.
A 28-year-old Australian man, Brenton Tarrant, is in custody, charged with murder.
The bodies of loved ones began returning to their families yesterday, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed.
5:45pm: This concludes today's live coverage. Continue checking the 1 NEWS NOW website for the latest updates on the Christchurch terror attack.
5:30pm: Cabinet is unified on gun law reform, but time is needed to get the details right, Ms Ardern says.
This process should be complete by next Monday, and new reforms in place "within 10 days" after the attack.
5:25pm: The Prime Minister says there will be a national commemoration and a service held for all New Zealanders to get together and mourn.
However it will not be this week to give families of victims time to grieve.
5:20pm: The Christchurch terror attack "exposed a range of weakness in NZ’s gun laws," Ms Ardern said.
"The time to act is now."
She said people can surrender their guns to police "at any time".
Ms Ardern also announced there will be an inquiry to the specific circumstance leading up to the mosque terror attacks.
This includes looking at any intelligence sharing challenges and will also look at the suspect’s travel, social media and interactions with others.
5:15pm: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced there will be gun law reforms "within 10 days" after a Cabinet meeting today.
"Cabinet was expanded to include the Green party and all partners in principle agreed on gun law reforms."
Ms Ardern said Cabinet was "absolutely unified".
4:50pm: Tongan community leaders are calling for their people living in New Zealand to wear black this week as a sign of solidarity with grieving Muslim families.
The island community is also being asked to meet in Aotea Square this Sunday at 2pm for a Love Aotearoa Hate Racism hui.
Tongan church groups have been holding special prayer sessions for the cessation of terrorism.
The Pulela’a Methodist Church in New Lynn yesterday paying their respects to the 50 people killed in Friday’s terrorist attack by taking its brass band to play outside an Auckland mosque and its congregation members prayed and laid flowers.
4:35pm: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is due to speak again shortly.
We will be live streaming her comments on the site and on 1 NEWS' Facebook page.
4:20pm: David Meates, chief executive of the Canterbury District Health Board has given a patient update.
"We currently have 31 patients who were injured in the mosque attacks in Christchurch Hospital.
"Two people were well enough to go home and have been discharged today.
"There are still nine people in a critical condition in intensive care. We continue to transfer any that are well enough to go to other wards as we can."
The Air NZ engineer was one of the 50 killed in Christchurch terror attacks.
3:50pm: There have been concerning reports of donation scams looking to take advantage of people after the shootings.
CERT NZ say it has "received reports of different opportunistic online scams and attacks in the wake of the tragic events in Christchurch last week."
These reports include:
• online donation fraud
• malware embedded in video files
• defacement of NZ websites, and
3:35pm: Police Deputy Commissioner Wally Haumaha says it's hoped the Deans Avenue and Linwood mosques will reopen by the end of the week.
"We have met with our criminal investigation team and we hope to have those premises in place by the end of the week to allow our Muslim community to go back and undertake prayer," he said.
3:25pm: More details have been released about what will happen in the burial process of the victims.
"Bodies will be released to families and family members will honour the body.
"The bodies will then be washed and wrapped in pieces of white unsewn cloth, which represent returning to God with no earthly possessions," a Federation of Islamic Associations said in a press conference.
3:15pm: Police Deputy Commissioner Wally Haumaha has met with leaders of the Federation of Islamic Associations of New Zealand to discuss burial processes and return of victims' bodies to their families.
He says that the Deans Avenue mosque and Linwood mosque were blessed by Māori elders and leaders of the Muslim community this morning.
3:05pm: There have been 62 schools and early childhood educators that have called the Ministry of Education for support after the shootings.
The ministry has prioritised 20 to visit.
2:55pm: Gun City owner David Tipple refused to be draw into a "gun control debate" during his press conference.
However, he did say that he supported Jacinda Ardern's call to look at gun laws in New Zealand after the shooting.
2:40pm: Gun City owner David Tipple has reiterated the "rifle" used in the mosque shootings was not purchased from his store.
He cannot say whether or not a shotgun used in the attacks was purchased from Gun City at this stage.
2:35pm: Accused gunman Brenton Tarrant obtained his gun licence in November 2017, made first purchase from Gun City a month later and made his last purchase from Gun City in March 2018 according to Mr Tipple.
2:30pm: "We detected nothing extraordinary about the licence holder, the military style semi auto reportedly used by the alleged gunman was not purchased from Gun City," Gun City owner David Tipple says.
2:27pm: Gun City owner David Tipple, where the accused gunman purchased his weapons, is currently giving a press conference:
"Staff and I are dismayed and disgusted by what happened Friday afternoon.
"We can't comprehend how the despicable actions could take place at a place of prayer and worship.
"Gun City has operated for 40 years and at all time have met our legal requirements.
"Gun City sold the alleged gunman four A category guns and ammunition.
"All Gun City sales to this individual followed a police verified online mail order process."
1:50pm: The Otago Daily Times have spoked to accused gunman Brenton Tarrant's Dunedin landlord who called the man a "model tenant".
"He kept the place clean and tidy, and paid his rent," the landlord told the ODT.
"He was polite, friendly and accommodating, and willing to allow access to the property at short notice. We had no suspicions whatsoever and are devastated by this horrific event."
1:42pm: According to RadioNZ members of the Linwood Islamic Centre gathered in the morning to bless the building.
Māori elders were there to perform the blessing as people from the Muslim community looked on.
The mosque was the second building targeted in the attacks on Friday.
1:25pm: More money is rolling in to support families of people who lost loved ones in the terror attacks.
The banking industry has today contributed $1 million to the Christchurch Foundation’s Our People, Our City Fund.
New Zealand Bankers’ Association chair David McLean said the industry shared the sense of shock of all New Zealanders and wants to support the families now and in the future.
"The banking industry is appalled by the horrific attacks in Christchurch on Friday and stands alongside Cantabrians at this terrible time."
Mr McLean said the contribution came from across the banking sector.
1:17pm: Armed police have swept through the grounds of Memorial Park Cemetery in preparation of funerals for terror attack victims.
12.56pm: Thousands of New Zealanders have signed a petition supporting the call for an urgent ban on semi-automatic weapons in response to Friday's events, Action Station said.
The petition received over 15,000 signatures after it was created on Saturday morning, the organisation said in a statement.
12.52pm: Movie Hotel Mumbai has been suspended from all New Zealand cinemas by distributor Icon Film Distribution.
All advertising for the film was immediately suspended upon news of the terror attacks.
Hotel Mumbai is suspended from the country until Thursday, March 28.
12.48pm: The New Zealand Medical Association (NZMA) has condemned Friday's attacks.
In a statement, NZMA chair Dr Kate Baddock said, "The medical profession is united in our support of the Government's commitment to strengthen our gun laws and the NZMA will vehemently oppose any campaign to delay that process or dilute the outcome that the nation wants."
12.24pm: Givealittle confirmed to 1 NEWS that they will not be taking any form of commission from the proceeds of the Victim Support Fundraiser.
Spark, which runs online crowdfunding site Givealittle, also said some of the banks are waiving their transaction fees.
Spark is meeting this afternoon to discuss whether fees and commissions will also be removed from all Christchurch-related fundraisers.
12.08pm: The Bruce Rifle Club will shut down their range "for the foreseeable future", vice president Scott Williams told 1 NEWS. "Going forward, we don't know what the future will hold," Mr Williams said.
"We continue to encourage our members to contact the police if they have any information about Tarrant.
"Our members are human beings just like anyone else and we feel betrayed and used."
12pm: Members of Parliament will gather in the House tomorrow, where the Prime Minister will express her condolences over Friday's attacks, Education Minister Chris Hipkins said in a statement.
The House will then be adjourned for the day, with the House meeting again the following day for Members Day.
11.54am: Celebrities including Madonna, Ben Stiller, Ashton Kutcher and Judd Apatow have donated thousands to a Givealittle fundraiser for Christchurch terror attack victims, PA reports.
U2 manager Guy Oseary, who set up the fundraiser, pledged NZ$26,297, while Madonna pledged NZ$14,608, and Chris Rock donated NZ$7,304.
The fundraiser is separate from the Christchurch Shooting Victims' Fund, which has since surpassed $5 million.
11.27am: Immigration New Zealand (INZ) will prioritise processing the families of people injured or killed in Christchurch's terror attacks.
"INZ wants to make things as easy as possible for families to come to New Zealand to lay their loved ones to rest or to support their family members who have been injured," acting head of immigration Steve McGill said in a statement.
INZ will also be working through possible options for people on temporary visas who have been affected by the tragedy.
11.23am: Two homes have been raided in New South Wales' mid-north coast this morning as part of investigations into Christchurch's terror attacks, according to AAP.
11.19am: TradeMe has announced they will be halting the sale of semi-automatic weapons while it waits for "more clarity from the Government," the online auction site said in a statement today.
11.09am: The online fundraiser for victims of the Christchurch terror attacks has surpassed $5 million.
10.56am: Students at Christchurch's Middleton Grange School have written messages of love and support in chalk as they returned to school today following the terror attacks.
10.21am: Simon Bridges says the National Party will be supporting the Government over changes to our current gun control laws.
Mr Bridges told RNZ this morning, "Change is needed, I understand that, and the National Party will make sure it's a constructive party in all of this."
"We are up for change."
10.09am: A condolence book, located at the National Library on Wellington's Molesworth Street, is available for members of the public to sign.
"The Muslim community in New Zealand have experienced the most horrendous attack on them imaginable," Ms Ardern said in a statement.
"While it is a small action, the condolence book offers an opportunity for New Zealanders to unite and express our opposition to hate and state our commitment to the values of love and compassion."
10am: Governor-General Dame Patsy Reddy and Education Minister Chris Hipkins have also written messages in a condolence book for the victims.
Dame Patsy wrote, "For all of the communities in Christchurch and around New Zealand who are suffering. Our thoughts and hearts are with you."
Mr Hipkins wrote, "My heart and my thoughts are with all of the people of Christchurch and the Muslim community here in New Zealand and around the world. You are welcomed, loved and respected."
9.41am: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern signed a condolence book this morning for victims of the Christchurch terror attacks.
In it, Ms Ardern wrote, "On behalf of all New Zealanders, we grieve together. We are one. They are us. Tatau Tātau."
9.38am: A spontaneous haka was performed at a Wellington vigil held for Christchurch terror attack victims last night.
The powerful performance was witnessed by a large crowd of mourners who had turned out to the capital's Basin Reserve to pay their respects.
9.31am: The candlight vigil in Queenstown will now be held at Earnslaw Park instead of on the Village Green at 6pm tonight due to the high number of people expected to attend the event, the Queenstown Lakes District Council said in a tweet.
9.12am: "Proud Muslim" and superintendent Naila Hassan delivered an emotional speech at an Auckland vigil yesterday for the Christchurch terror attack victims.
8.59am: Muslim affairs analyst Tahir Nawaz told TVNZ1's Breakfast this morning, "As the honourable Prime Minister said, this attack was on us as a nation - It's not just an individual community. We are all in this together."
8.35am: Vigils are continuing across New Zealand as the country mourns the loss of those killed.
Thousands turned out to Wellington's basin reserve last night to remember the victims.
Meanwhile, a three-hour vigil has been planned for Auckland's St Matthew's church tonight.
8.28am: An online fundraiser for the victims of the Christchurch terror attacks has reached $4.6 million as of this morning.
8.09am: A 22-year-old man is due to appear in Christchurch District Court today accused with sharing the video of the attack online.
He was arrested by police in the initial stages of the shooting investigation on Friday afternoon, but police have made it clear that he is not being charged in relation to the attack itself.
7.48am: 10 roadworkers have worked throughout the night to move and rearrange the flowers, which had become a hazard after it began spilling onto the road, to a safer place.
Roadworker Jay Waaka told TVNZ1's Breakfast, "It was much more emotional than first thought. We just thought we were picking up flowers and just moving them. You pick up a bunch of flowers, cards fall out - teddies, toys, you name it - it's all in there."
7.44am: A spokesperson for the Islamic Women's Council says they've long held concerns around hatred of Muslims in New Zealand. "We felt that we were not taken as seriously as we should have been. There is so much that the Government can do and could have been doing around hate speech, around recording violence against minorities that just has not been taken up," Anjum Rahman said.
7.36am: The family of the accused gunman say they are devastated and have apologised to the families affected by the tragedy.
"We are all gobsmacked, we don't know what to think. The media is saying he has planned it for a long time so he is obviously not of sound mind," the accused shooter's grandmother, Marie Fitzgerald, told Nine News.
7.31am: Survivor Farhaan Farheez, who was at the Linwood mosque when the attack took place, spoke to TVNZ1's Breakfast about no longer feeling safe in Christchurch.
"From day one that was my first target to make New Zealand my home and get a sense of belonging and now I just feel like that's long gone ... I’m just shattered. That was my ultimate dream, you know?"
7.26am: "I think I'm just feeling exactly the same way that all New Zealanders feel right now. Everyone is grieving, and I'm grieving with them, but I also have a very important job to do. I need to ensure that we're looking after those affected that they have ongoing care and support, not just in the coming days, but the coming months and years," Ms Ardern said.
7.18am: Ms Ardern has addressed reports people are allegedly panic-buying guns in the wake of the attacks. "What I think the public rightly are asking right now is, 'Why is it and how is is that you should and [are] currently able to buy military-style semi-automatic weapons in New Zealand?' And that's the right question to ask."
7.08am: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern told TVNZ1's Breakfast this morning that the number of people injured in hospital has remained unchanged as of this morning.
"I know that there is, understandably, both grief in New Zealand right now and there is anger, too. There are questions that need to be answered, and that we are looking for as well," Ms Ardern said.
At 1pm, the PM will be working with Cabinet on the country's current gun laws.
7.01am: Warn International founder and former police intelligence officer Lance Burdett joined TVNZ1's Breakfast this morning to discuss whether Friday's terror attacks was a catastrophic failure of intelligence. "It's very easy to go back over time and join the dots later, and that happens in every major incident ever, that's ever happened," Mr Burdett said.
"Is it a catastrophic failure? No."
6.55am: Around 30 per cent of the 353 schools and early learning centres which went into lockdown following the terror attacks in Christchurch have requested traumatic incident help, Ms Holstead said.
6.50am: Secretary of Education Iona Holstead joined TVNZ1's Breakfast this morning to discuss schools reopening as students returned to class this morning. "As far as we're aware today, all schools but Hagley College, but I do ask parents to check on their school and early learning services' websites to be absolutely sure because it is up to each school to decide," Ms Holstead said.
6.45am: Hagley College, which has been hosting those affected by Friday's terror attacks since Saturday, will continue as a welfare centre through to today. Classes will not resume today, including after 3pm, Hagley College principal Mike Fowler said in a statement.
The school's situation will be reviewed today as to whether it will reopen tomorrow.
6:34am: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern will meet with Cabinet today to discuss our gun policy.
Ms Ardern said in the wake of the attacks that our gun laws must change.
6.29am: Dunedin Airport has reopened after a suspicious item found on the airfield was discovered to be a hoax, police said.
The New Zealand Defence Force neutralised the object, and the scene where the item was discovered has since been secured.
Inquiries are ongoing to establish who left the object.
6.20am: Victims continue to be returned home to their families. Police hope the victim indentification process will be completed by Wednesday.