Four new Covid-19 cases in managed isolation, one in hospital in stable condition

There are four new cases of Covid-19 in managed isolation facilities to report in New Zealand today, with one person in a stable condition in hospital.

A file image of a woman wearing a face mask. Source: Pexels

A man in his 30s, who was isolating at Auckland's Haka Hotel, is in Auckland City Hospital. He was tested for Covid-19 after being taken to hospital last night.

He remains in the hospital in a stable condition and has not required ICU level care, the Ministry of Health said today.

"Members of staff treating the man were made aware that he had returned from overseas to a managed quarantine facility and appropriate protocols were followed, including the use of PPE," the Ministry of Health says.

"No members of staff are considered close contacts.

"Members of the public can be assured that the hospital is safe for patients, visitors and staff."

The patient was cared for in a separate room in the clinical assessment unit at the hospital before being transferred to a separate room in a ward.

The Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield said while news of the case in hospital “may be concerning to some”, New Zealand’s healthcare system had remained prepared for it.

“I want to reassure the wider community that this person is receiving good treatment from the team at Auckland City Hospital who have previous experience of managing positive cases.”

He said the 14-day stay in managed isolation or quarantine and the daily symptom check remained important.

The other three cases announced today are in quarantine at the Auckland Jet Park facility.

The second case is a woman in her 30s who arrived in New Zealand from India on June 14.

She is the wife of a previous case who tested positive last Sunday, but had been isolating separately from her husband since his positive test. 

She was considered a close contact and tested positive on day 11 of her stay.

The third case is a man in his 30s who arrived into New Zealand from Nepal via Sydney on June 18 on flight NZ102. He tested positive on day three of his time at the Novotel Ellerslie.

Three close family contacts of the man travelling with him have been tested, returning two negative results. The third result is pending. 

All of these contacts are being treated as close contacts. The Ministry of Health said they would be checked daily and retested if they develop symptoms or at day 12 of their stay.

The fourth case is a man in his 30s who was in isolation at the Grand Millennium Hotel in Auckland.

His result also came as a result of day three testing. Further details are currently being established by Auckland Regional Public Health.

The total number of active cases as of today is 20. All cases are in managed isolation facilities or quarantine, with none in the community.

The Ministry of Health said of the 2159 people who left managed isolation facilities between June 9 and June 16, 1253 have tested negative for the virus.

Of those, 800 were tested before leaving the facilities, and the remaining 453 were tested after they had left. 

The country's death toll stands at 22.

Yesterday, 5321 tests were completed, bringing the total number of tests to date to 392,756. This includes testing at managed isolation facilities and community-based testing stations. 

Test results are pending for 342 people, while the Ministry of Health has tried to "repeatedly" contact 427 others.

The Ministry of Health said it referred the people they couldn't make contact with to "finding services". 

Seventy-nine people have refused a test, and 137 people won't be tested for various reasons. These reasons include age, the person being overseas or the person being part of repositioning crew, such as airline staff who weren't currently working.

The NZ COVID Tracer app has now recorded 583,000 registrations, and businesses have created 75,316 posters.   

There have been 1,261,767 poster scans to date.