Corrections tell court man who raped girl should not be released into community

Violent rapist Mark David Chisnall has listened in as High Court lawyers debated whether he posed too great a risk to be released back into the community or not.

The 31-year-old was 14 when he raped an 8-year-old girl in a park in a small Taranaki town and has also been convicted of sexual attacks on a 7-year-old boy and a woman aged in her 20s.

He finished his jail term in April last year, but has since been detained under interim detention.

Today, Justice Edwin Wylie listened to submissions from lawyers representing the Corrections Department and Chisnall, who appeared via video link.

Corrections have called for Chisnall to be further detained under a public protection order to prevent him from re-offending.

His lawyer Tony Ellis argued Chisnall should be released on strict conditions under an extended supervision order.

Chisnall has been in detention at Christchurch Men's Prison since finishing his sentence at Paremoremo Prison in Auckland.

Corrections were forced to seek his interim detention after making their application for a public protection order against him too close to the end of his official prison sentence.

Chisnall appealed the legality of the interim detention but had this dismissed by Chief Justice Dame Sian Elias in the Supreme Court in August.

She agreed with health professionals that Chisnall posed a "very high risk of imminent serious sexual or violent offending" if he was released before a hearing could be held into his long term future.

"He has limited self-control, absence of concern for victims and poor interpersonal relationships," she said.

Justice Wylie is expected to announce his judgment about whether Chisnall should be detained under a public protection order before Christmas.

Source: istock.com



A quarter of Waikato's traffic tickets 'have no relevance to safety,' says senior police officer

Waikato Police have dropped measuring their officers' performance on how many traffic tickets they give to motorists, after a road policing manager said a quarter of all infringement notices dished out in the region "have no relevance to safety".

Waikato Road Policing Manager Inspector Marcus Lynam has instead told Fairfax Media he wants his staff to emphasise better outcomes which will improve road safety.

"We issue tickets, they can't pay the fines, they end up in court, so we are part of that problem.

"I'm in this job for the next two years and in the next two years, I will not have any performance measures on the numbers of tickets for any staff because it is a barrier to what we want to achieve," Mr Lynam said.

Speaking at a Waikato Regional Council transport committee meeting on Monday, Mr Lynam spoke about how police need to change their methods in order to achieve better road safety results.

"Do we want a whole lot of figures and not very good outcomes, or do we want fewer figures and better outcomes?"

In a statement, National Manager Road Policing Superintendent Steve Greally said infringement notices are a good tool to measure activity, but agreed with the approach taken by Waikato Police.

"It makes no sense at all to appraise an officer's performance based on the number of infringements issued and we support Inspector Lynam's approach."

Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Video: Auckland's rail operator calls train worker strike 'disappointing and premature'

Auckland's rail operator says the strike action planned by workers tomorrow is "disappointing and premature".

The industrial action means the 30,000 Aucklanders who commute on trains will have to find alternative transport.

The worker's union is protesting a plan that'll introduce driver only trains, which are already used in several places overseas including Melbourne, London, and France.

The rail operator Transdev says it calls the system driver-door operations.

"Because 'driver-only operations' suggests there's only one person on board that train,"  says Transdev Managing Director, Michel Ladral. "That's not the case".

Maori wardens and transport officers would still be on carriages at times, with security guards at stations.

But the Rail and Maritime Transport Union believes the system will put lives in danger.

Transdev is frustrated with this, as it says rigorous testing and discussion is still ongoing.

"We are half way through and they are already calling this strike," says Mr Ladral. He also says the union has been asked to work with them during the testing process.

"If they had said to me 'we're worried about jobs' then we would fully understand," he said.

Commuters across Auckland are advised to allow extra time for travel tomorrow.

Auckland Transport chief transport services officer Mark Lambert said: "Roads will be busier tomorrow".

"We're looking at putting additional capacity on key bus routes, but unfortunately due to the short notice of the strike action and the sheer volume of train service affected we haven’t been able to put on alternative bus services for those rail services," he said.

If possible Auckland Transport is encouraging people to ride share, travel at alternative times of the day, or work from home.

The rail workers will be striking for 24 hours from 2am tomorrow.

Commuters across Auckland are advised to allow extra time for travel tomorrow or work from home if possible. Source: 1 NEWS