Confronting new exhibition gives Kiwis a chance to see beneath the skin of real human beings

Kiwis have a chance to see beneath the skin of real human beings in a confronting exhibition visiting New Zealand shores for the first time.

The Body Worlds exhibition has been seen by 45 million people worldwide, and after one day already 650 Kiwis have been to see it.

Organisers say the display, featuring around 200 human specimens, had to open over an hour early due to the queues outside.

Most of the 20 full bodies in the exhibition were donated in Germany, and have been preserved through plastination.

It's a technique invented by one of the exhibition creators, Dr Gunther von Hagens.

Wife and co-creater Dr Angelina Whalley says: "To put it very simple it's a vacuum process that allows us to exchange the tissue water with a polymer like silicone."

"Each individual cell that contained water before is now filled with a polymer, and that renders the specimen dry."

Plastination takes 1500 hours per corpse, and an additional year to rebuild the body once that process is complete.

The intention of the exhibition is to educate visitors on how their bodies work, and how to best take care of them.

"We have our body with us all our life - it's the only place we have to live" Dr Whalley said.

"I systematically describe all bodily functions and show all the organs we have in our body and also show healthy organs and diseased ones in comparison, so you can really understand what a disease looks like."

"Only this emotional experience will help us towards a healthier lifestyle".

The exhibition organisers hope to see 100,000 Kiwis through their doors over the three months it is in Auckland.

Already 50 schools have signed up to visit.

The Body Worlds exhibition has been seen by 45 million people worldwide. Source: 1 NEWS



Armed police comb east Auckland property over alleged clan lab

Armed police have reportedly swarmed an east Auckland property early this morning following suspicions a clan lab has been set up inside the house.

A 42-year-old man was arrested after a planned search warrant was carried out at a property on Kings Road, Panmure, at around 6am.

The suspect will be facing court on charges relating to the manufacturing of drugs at a later date.

An eyewitness told 1 NEWS they could see multiple cars and armed police outside the property.

Inquiries are ongoing and police remain at the scene.

Anyone with concerns or suspicions over possible illegal activity being conducted at a home is encouraged to contact police.


Source: 1 NEWS


Labour MP 'stating the obvious' that Curran saga could have been handled better – Inside Parliament

MP Greg O'Connor has apologised "unreservedly" to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern for saying that the Clare Curran saga could have been handled better. 

But he was merely "stating the obvious", said 1 NEWS reporter Benedict Collins.

The Labour MP tole media perviously the handling of the Clare Curran saga "could have been done better". Source: 1 NEWS

"I don't think anyone will disagree with that. I'll tell you what, it will be done better next time," Mr O'Connor told Newstalk ZB previously. 

Ms Curran resigned from her remaining Ministerial portfolios last Friday, after being stripped from her Government Digital Services and Open Government responsibilities last month for failing to disclose a meeting for a second time.

Maiki Sherman warns the Government isn’t out of the woods just yet as an investigation into Meka Whaitiri continues. Source: 1 NEWS

Inside Parliament is a weekly catch up with 1 NEWS political reporters about the biggest stories of the week. 

A weekly catch up with our political reporters about the stories they have been covering. Source: 1 NEWS

Listen to the full podcast on SoundcloudiTunes and Facebook

The 1 NEWS reporters analyse the what happened before MP Clare Curran's resignation. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

'We can't even break up a fight' - Teachers frustrated with restraint guidelines

Primary school teachers are at their wits' end when it comes to dealing with violent and disruptive students.

They say tough rules around restraining children mean pupils throwing chairs around and ripping things off the wall can't be stopped.

Teachers in Northland have written to the president of their principals' association, Pat Newman, after he asked what issues they were facing since new rules on physically restraining children were brought in last August.

They said children were trashing classrooms and pouring drinks onto workbooks. They were punching computer screens and threatening children with scissors.

Because they were not causing any harm to other children or themselves teachers felt they were unable to stop them.

Teachers had been told they couldn't touch children, Ruakaka Primary School's principal Marilyn Dunn said.

"If a child decides to, for instance, throw things at other children all around the room, what we're told to do is let him do it and take all of the other children out of the way so [they] don't get hurt.

"So if he wants to throw iPads and break things you've got to allow him to do that and walk out with the rest of the children and wait for the child to calm down."

In the 'old days', things were easier, she said.

"When we were able to sensibly restrain a child we would remove the child who was throwing things around so they didn't disturb the other children's learning,and we would calm them down out of the classroom.

"We can't do those kinds of thing now, we can't even break up a fight."

Teachers felt at risk, and that they could not keep other children safe, Ms Dunn said.

Principal's Federation president Whetu Cormick said children were learning they could get away with certain behaviour.

"And the ridiculous thing about this is that, in society, if a young person or an adult was to cause damage in the street, smashing shop windows for example, that person would be arrested.

"In a school environment you can't restrain a child if they're going to smash a window, or if they're going to throw a chair around."

There should be a review of the guidelines, Mr Cormick said.

That call is echoed by teachers, and heeded by the Ministry of Education.

The ministry will hold meetings with a focus group to refresh the guidelines, Katrina Casey, the ministry's deputy secretary of sector enablement and support, said.

The principal of Wellington's Berhampore School, Mark Potter, said he hoped those changes would include a dose of common sense.

"Because the real danger is - I have heard people say, our school's decided that there will be no touching children full stop.

"Now I think that's a society being created where children are not allowed to have contact with adults."

Ms Casey said in a statement that children should only be physically restrained as a last resort.

In reviewing the guidelines the ministry would talk about the actual scenarios schools were facing.

Ms Casey said it was clear in the guidelines a teacher could use physical restraint if they believed there was a serious and imminent risk to the safety of the student or others.

- By Laura Dooney

rnz.co.nz

Close up shot of pencils in classroom
Source: Te Karere


Great Barrier Island man whose truck battery blew up in his face flown to hospital

A Great Barrier Island man whose truck battery blew up in his face this morning has been flown to Auckland Hospital by the Westpac Rescue Helicopter.

At 9.15am, a rescue helicopter crew was called to Great Barrier Island after the man suffered multiple burns to his body.

He is in Auckland Hospital in a moderate condition. 

Source: 1 NEWS


Topics