Christchurch mosque shooting: What you need to know

A "significant" number of people have been killed at shootings at mosques in Christchurch and dozens are injured.

What happened?

Dozens of people have been shot and injured and police say there has been "multiple fatalities" after shooters opened fire at two mosques in Christchurch - Masjid Al Noor Mosque next to Hagley Park, and at the Linwood Masjid Mosque in the suburb of Linwood.

About 300 people were inside the mosque for afternoon prayers.

Police said one person was in custody, and are unsure if there is another shooter.

What's in lockdown?

All schools in Christchurch have been put into lockdown, as well as Christchurch Hospital.

Police said all mosques nationally to shut their doors, that people should not visit them until further notice.

The hospital has alerted the public that it is in lockdown, with no staff or patients able to enter or leave the buildings.

    Your playlist will load after this ad

    Police Commissioner Mike Bush briefed media just a couple of hours following the shooting which injured dozens.

    The district health board will not comment further on the reasons for the lockdown.

    But they said the public should not go to the hospital unless an emergency.

    What roads are closed?

    Deans Ave has been closed between Moorhouse Avenue and Riccarton Rd. Motorists are advised to avoid the area.

      Your playlist will load after this ad

      A man is in police custody after shootings at two mosques in Christchurch today. Source: Supplied

      What are witnesses saying?

      Witness Azam Ali said people were shot and covered in blood after a man open fired at a mosque 10 minutes into their prayers.

      What are the authorities saying?

      Police are urging people in central Christchurch to stay indoors and report any suspicious behaviour immediately to 111.

      Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is due to address the media at 4pm in New Plymouth.

      Streets cordoned off after mosque shooting
      Streets cordoned off after mosque shooting Source: