A Christchurch homeowner is vowing not to eat again until his earthquake claim with government insurers Southern Response is sorted.
Peter Glasson began his hunger strike at midnight last night outside the Southern Response office in Addington.
Seven years on from the Christchurch earthquakes, his family's claim still hasn't been resolved.
Mr Glasson says the insurer has used bullying tactics and the court process to slow things down.
"There's 800 families involved in fighting Southern Response at the moment. And I'd like to know whether there's a proper other process that takes out the kind of antagonism and dishonesty that Southern Response have exhibited to date," he told 1 NEWS.
Fairfax reports that Mr Glasson launched legal proceedings against Southern Response two years ago and since then he has been spied on by the agency and has sign-written an anti-insurance car in protest.
While he has not eaten since midnight Monday, the report said he is taking electrolyte sachets and multivitamins prescribed by his doctor, along with mugs of water.
"I've read a bit about it on the internet and apparently it's not a painful way to die," Mr Glasson told Fairfax.
His wife, Anne, has joined his hunger strike in a self-contained camper and they will return home at night.
Southern Response says it has been unable to agree with the Glassons on the extent of damage and repairs required, but would consider further mediation.
The dispute is scheduled to be settled in court later this year.
Ana Klemencic Cabuk talked of her experience in the swanky Lindo Wing of London's St Mary's Hospital, revealing what is in store for the Duchess of Cambridge.