A man in his mid 20s died in Auckland's Middlemore Hospital overnight, the eighth death linked to synthetic cannabis this month.
For more on this story, watch 1 NEWS at 6pm.
Source: 1 NEWS
The man was admitted to hospital on Monday night, suspected to be suffering from the effects of taking the substance.
He was suffering from seizures.
Last week, the Chief Coroner announced synthetic cannabis was linked to seven deaths in Auckland, while a number of people have been admitted to hospital in a serious condition.
Chief Coroner, Judge Deborah Marshall, said last week that in the last month Coronial Services have been notified of seven deaths, where the deceased is believed to have used synthetic cannabis recently or were found with the drug on them.
"I've also been advised by St John that there have been a significant number of non-fatal cases where people have been hospitalised after using the drug, which is known to cause potentially fatal seizures," Judge Marshall said.
She said final causes of death were yet to be determined but the synthetic cannabis appeared to be a contributing factor in a number of cases.
"Maybe this has galvanised them, hearing each other's stories and knowing they are not alone," say the nurses behind the Facebook group, New Zealand, please hear our voice.