ACT leader David Seymour wants Māori seats abolished, MP numbers reduced

He told his party’s annual conference he hopes to introduce legislation to reduce the size of Parliament. Source: 1 NEWS

Wanted man who escaped police custody arrested after AOS callout in South Auckland

Armed police and the AOS were called out to an area in South Auckland today following sightings of a wanted man who allegedly pointed a pistol at a police officer earlier today.

Darcy Hayes, 48, was on the run after escaping police custody at Auckland District Court last Tuesday. 

Mr Hayes was found hiding under a house in McKean Avenue when a member of the public alerted police. 

A dog squad was sent in to retrieve Mr Hayes, who is again under police custody. 

Pedestrians were been advised to avoid the area and motorists have been encouraged to use alternative routes.

The AOS surrounded a Manurewa property following reports of a man with a gun, soon after Darcy Hayes was arrested. Source: 1 NEWS


NZDF detonates historic bomb found in regional park by children

An old projectile from a World War Two era artillery has been successfully detonated by the defence force in Paraparaumu.

Police were contacted this morning by a family who had found the historic projectile in Belmont Regional Park during the school holidays.

The kids took it home to their grandparents house, and after googling the item they thought it was safe to keep and clean up to take to school for show and tell, the police said in a statement.

Last night the children returned to their home in Paraparaumu with the artillery round in the car.

Another grandparent was concerned about safety and moved the item into the backyard before calling Police this morning.

Police arrived at the house and put a cordon in place, evacuating three nearby houses as a precaution.

The New Zealand Defence Force Bomb Disposal Unit then inspected the projectile, confirming it was potentially still live, deciding it should be detonated in a controlled explosion.

It was then transported to a safe location at Higgins Quarry in Paraparaumu where it was buried and detonated by remote.