1 NEWS Community: Would you ditch your car to share an electric one with others?

An electric car sharing company is setting its sights on Auckland, having successfully launched in Christchurch earlier this year with the help of a council-run scheme.

In February, Yoogo Share launched the Southern Hemisphere's largest car sharing service in Christchurch.

The Christchurch City Council-led initiative saw 12 key businesses with 3000 drivers ditch 115 cars from their fleets.

"We've put in 100 pure electric vehicles (EVs) and 100 chargers in eight different locations around the city," Yoogo Share general manager Kirsten Corson told 1 NEWS.

"It's an easy way for businesses to improve their carbon footprint."

Along with businesses, Yoogo Share is encouraging Cantabrians to ditch their combustion vehicles to share electric cars with others.

Private users can sign up to Yoogo Share online and book an EV, rates are based on the minute, hour or day, whatever works out to be cheapest.

Map of Yoogo Share's electric vehicle hubs in Christchurch.
Map of Yoogo Share's electric vehicle hubs in Christchurch. Source: Supplied

They can then pick up a car at one of the hubs, and when finished simply drop it back to the hub and plug it in to charge.

"We've even had private users register from the States, that when they're coming down to New Zealand and flying into Christchurch they pick up our cars and use them," said Ms Corson.

Others users signed up just to see what it is like to drive and EV.

"They'll say, look we just want to book it for 15 minutes because we've never driven an electric vehicle before."

But Ms Corson understands it might take private users some time before masses of people decide to replace their car with the sharing model.

"Intrinsically Kiwis have a psyche to own, I often joke, it will take a long time for Kiwis to give up driving their Ford Rangers and having their own car."

The "early adopters" who have taken on the car sharing trend have amazed the company, says Ms Corson.

"Some of those have been parents with children, where they no longer have a car in the family, so they’ll be booking a car on Saturday morning to take their child to sport."

The company is hoping other councils will adopt the strategy, and have already begun talks with some.

Auckland is likely the next city Yoogo Share will launch in, but it's "a bit of a secret at the moment".

Ms Corson did tell 1 NEWS, "We're working on it, with some hubs in the CBD and also out in the airport, so Auckland and then in time we'd like to be in Wellington and also the regions."

Yoogo Share launched in Christchurch as part of the scheme, which saw 12 businesses ditch 115 combustion cars. Source: 1 NEWS



Teen boy 15, charged over violent robbery of Christchurch Caltex that left attendant in hospital

A 15-year-old boy has been charged over the violent robbery of a Christchurch Caltex that left its shop attendant hospitalised.

Police say six males entered a Riccarton Caltex around 1am this morning and threatened the shop attendant.

The attendant received a head injury during the robbery and was taken to hospital.

Cigarettes and a till were stolen and the offenders left in a vehicle, which was followed by a security guard.

The vehicle was last seen in the Burnside area of Christchurch.

A 15-year-old male was later arrested and charged with aggravated robbery and appeared in youth court today.

He was remanded in custody.

Source: istock.com

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

Phil Twyford hits back at Simon Bridges over 'meth cook' Housing NZ compensation

Housing Minister Phil Twyford has rebutted the opposition over methamphetamine compensation, saying "meth crooks" will not be compensated by Housing NZ.

National leader Simon Bridges appeared on TVNZ1’s Breakfast where he said he was against compensation for those Housing NZ tenants found to have used or produced methamphetamine in their homes.

READ MORE: Simon Bridges against compensation - 'What sort of message does that send?'

Mr Twyford released a statement saying compensation will not be given to those convicted of the supply or manufacture of meth.

The Housing NZ board will not be sacked over the methamphetamine contamination “fiasco”, the housing minister said. Source: 1 NEWS

"Housing NZ has been very clear that those convicted of the supply or manufacture of methamphetamine from a Housing NZ house will not receive compensation," Mr Twyford said in a statement.

The National leader says it sends a poor message that those found to have cooked or used meth in Housing NZ homes get compensation. Source: Breakfast

"The 800-odd families that will have their costs reimbursed were in homes that tested under Sir Peter Gluckman’s new recommended level."

"Housing NZ has also acknowledged that these people were denied natural justice as there was no baseline testing before the test that led to their evictions."

"The comments by Opposition Leader Simon Bridges today are at odds with his comments in June when he apologised to these tenants for being kicked out of their homes on ‘dud advice’.”

The Housing Minister defended the compensation decision against the National MP's hardline questions. Source: 1 NEWS

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Three teens aged 15 to 16, charged after wild crime spree involving stolen cars and liquor store robbery in Auckland

Three teenagers have been charged with multiple offences after a wild crime spree in Auckland this morning.

Police say three offenders stole a vehicle before using a tyre iron to smash the window of a liquor store on Dominion Road before fleeing the scene in a second stolen vehicle with several bottles of alcohol around 5am.

Two of those who were arrested and charged are 15-years-old, with the third aged 16.

After being called out to the liquor store robbery, police spotted the alleged offenders' vehicle and attempted to pull them over but they failed to stop.

Police then followed the vehicle through Mt Albert and observed a number of items being thrown out of the windows while it was driving at speed.

The driver of the stolen vehicle subsequently lost control and hit two parked cars before hitting a motorist in his car.

Two of the offenders were arrested at the scene of the crash. The offending driver fled and tried to hide in a nearby building in an attempt to evade the police helicopter. She was quickly located by a police dog team and arrested.

No one was injured however the driver of the stolen vehicle was later taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

The three youths have been jointly charged with burglary and two counts of unlawfully taking a motor vehicle. Additionally, the driver is facing a number of driving charges.

They are due to appear in youth court today.

Police car generic.
Police car generic. Source: 1 NEWS


Startling video shows woman and child standing in Auckland car park to 'reserve' it, preventing motorist from pulling into space

Video and images have been posted online of two separate incidents where frustrated motorists were blocked from entering parks by people standing in them to reserve the space.

The practice is well documented overseas in countries like the USA, and is now being practiced by some in the increasingly sought after parks in Auckland.

A video posted online shows one such incident, which took place last week at the Westfield St Lukes Mall.

The driver repeatedly sounds his horn, but the woman will not budge, holding her concerned child behind her as she talks on the phone to someone, presumably telling them to hurry up and get to the park.

A commenter on the post said the woman eventually allowed the car to park there after a ten-minute standoff.

Another person posted images to a driver complaints page on Facebook yesterday showing a woman standing in a council car park on Auckland's Hobson Street.

A woman guards a public car park, reserving it for her friend, on Hobson Street.
A woman guards a public car park, reserving it for her friend, on Hobson Street. Source: Andy Chui

The woman reportedly waited there until another person arrived driving a late-model BMW convertible.

A car arrives after a woman blocked other motorists from entering it on Hobson Street in Auckland.
A car arrives after a woman blocked other motorists from entering it on Hobson Street in Auckland. Source: Andy Chui

Auckland Transport's Regional Compliance Manager Rick Bidgood said earlier this year that there is no legal basis for members of the public to reserve a park by standing in it, or by putting cones out.

However, Mr Bidgood urged drivers to consider giving up and finding another park in these scenarios, where the alternative could be an aggressive or even violent confrontation.

However, there are also no specific laws against people standing in a car park and refusing to vacate.

AA spokesperson Mark Stockdale said the AA was not familiar enough with the issue yet to make comment.

Online reactions to the practice were resoundingly negative, with most commenters indicating they thought parks should be 'first-in, first-served'.

"That happened to my wife and I and my wife just inched her way in....I was so proud," wrote one commenter.

"Bloody awful to see and she had her child with her to witness her behavior," said another.

One person pointed out there could be legitimate reasons for the reservation tactic.

"Perhaps someone inside is elderly and cannot walk far ... perhaps they need to load a heavy item ... just sayin," the commenter said.

The incident took place at St Lukes Mall, and eventually led to the woman giving up the park.