'I'm a person with feelings and to be written about like this hurts'- Millie Elder-Holmes

Widespread support on social media has been shown to Millie Elder-Holmes after a scathing column was published about her in The Dominion Post.

The court has heard evidence around the death of Connor Morris, who died as a result of a street brawl in Auckland. Source: 1 NEWS

The opinion piece written by columnist Rosemary McLeod talks about Millie growing up in the spotlight, as well as both her late father Sir Paul Holmes and boyfriend Connor Morris.

"I blame Millie's step-father, the engaging, quixotic, sentimental Paul Holmes, for dragging her into the spotlight," Ms McLeod said.

Later in the article, when commenting about Elder-Holmes murdered partner Connor Morris, she describes the incident as "a bit West-Side Story". 

An angry Ms Elder- Holmes hit back at the article today, saying she felt hurt by the comments made in the article especially about Mr Morris.

She took to Twitter and Facebook to vent her feelings towards Ms McLeod and Stuff, who published the column.

Watch highlights of Frankie Adams and Millie Elder-Holmes from Fight for Life. Source: SKY

She also told her Facebook followers she never wanted to be in the public eye and that she never asked for this.

"I don't want to respond or fuel it but this media S*** is has been so intense in the last year especially during the hardest time in my life," she said.

"I've had to deal with people bashing me, trolling me and making rude remarks about me and my partner who was murdered. I don't know what to say anymore."

It isn't the first time that Ms McLeod has made comments about the Holmes family.

In 2013 she wrote a column about Sir Paul Holmes before his funeral.


Man charged with murder after fatal stabbing of woman, 28, in Christchurch

A man has been charged with murder following last night's fatal stabbing of a woman, 28, on Ilam Road, Christchurch.

Police say the man, 52, has also been charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He remains in Christchurch Hospital in a serious but stable condition.

Another man, a 31-year-old, remains in Christchurch Hospital in a serious but stable condition after the incident.

Police have confirmed to media today that 52-year-old man turned the knife on himself, Detective Senior Sergeant Scott Anderson said.

Police say although the investigation is still in its early days those involved were known to each other and Police are not seeking anyone else over the incident.

Police say although the investigation is still in its early days those involved were known to each other and Police are not seeking anyone else over the incident.

Where to get help:

Need to Talk? Free call or text 1737 any time to speak to a trained counsellor, for any reason.
Lifeline: 0800 543 354
Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 / 0508 TAUTOKO (24/7). This is a service for people who may be thinking about suicide, or those who are concerned about family or friends.
Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757 (24/7)
Samaritans: 0800 726 666 (24/7)
Youthline: 0800 376 633 (24/7) or free text 234 (8am-12am), or email talk@youthline.co.nz
What's Up: online chat (7pm-10pm) or 0800 WHATSUP / 0800 9428 787 children's helpline (1pm-10pm weekdays, 3pm-10pm weekends)
Kidsline (ages 5-18): 0800 543 754 (24/7)
Rural Support Trust Helpline: 0800 787 254
Healthline: 0800 611 116
Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155
If it is an emergency and you feel like you or someone else is at risk, call 111.

Detective Inspector Scott Anderson spoke about the incident on Ilam Road. Source: 1 NEWS

Homicide investigation launched after man fatally stabbed in Northland's Moerewa

A homicide investigation has been launched following the fatal stabbing in the Northland town of Moerewa last night.

Emergency services were called to an address at 8.45pm.

Police say a 57-year-old man died at the scene.

A woman is currently assisting Police with inquiries.

Police say the pair are known to each other and no one else is being sought over the incident.

A post mortem examination will be carried out tomorrow.

Police car generic.
Police car generic. Source: 1 NEWS

Kiwi artist's carving made from bone of stranded whale in Scotland on display in Dunedin

When a stranded whale dies on the shores in New Zealand, it is likely artist Chris Charteris will get a call.

The artist uses whale bone as part of his traditional Māori carving.

One of his latest carvings uses bone that travelled around the world to reach New Zealand.

It's the focus of an application to the Department of Conservation to hold, import and export the carved sperm whale jaw bone to Australia for its new owner.

The bone was originally harvested from a dead sperm whale that was stranded on a beach in Scotland in 1977.

Accomplished Māori carver Major H Woods acquired it later that year from the British Museum before he exported it to New Zealand in 1994.

Mr Woods sent a crate with the bone in it to New Zealand, intending to return to his country.

However, he passed away before he could travel back to carve with it.

Mr Charteris was asked whether he was interested in buying the bone from Mr Woods' estate in 1998 as he was supplying Auckland Museum with carvings.

Two decades later, the finished carved bone sculpture was exhibited at Milford Galleries Dunedin.

Only 37.2 centimetres in height, it's a small, but valuable piece.

The jaw bone was particularly prized as the most solid part of the skeleton, he said.

"I'd consider all of the skeleton remains of the whale are equally precious to me."

Mr Charteris has been working with whale bone since the 1980s.

It's a controversial material to be working with, even though the bone is collected from dead beached whales.

He described a guilt people still appeared to feel about the slaughtering of whales to "light the lamps of London".

"I think we still have a residue of guilt.

"I feel that if I have the opportunity to work with that material then it's my job to honour and to do the best that I can with it.

"It is a part of my heritage to be involved in using whale bone, there's quite a strong connection to the material and to the whales."

Technology made bone carving a lot simpler and quicker, he said.

"It has made what would have been a number of years ago a very labour intensive process, a lot more efficient."

Submissions close for the permit to export the carved jaw bone on 20 September.

 Image courtesy of Milford Galleries Dunedin. Glenn Frei.
Image courtesy of Milford Galleries Dunedin. Glenn Frei. Source: Image courtesy of Milford Galleries Dunedin. Glenn Frei.