'Huge anger fades': Heart-wrenching view of boy left seriously disabled after meningitis

William Burton had meningitis which was missed twice by doctors causing him to become brain damaged. Source: 1 NEWS


Topics



Lifting suppression for men charged over fatal shooting of Mongrel Mob member 'a risk' to police investigation - Crown

Naming the 12 men arrested over the shooting of Mongrel Mob member Kevin Ratana would pose "a significant and real risk" to the police investigation into his death, a court has heard today.

Mr Ratana, a 27-year-old father of two, was shot and killed in Whanganui in August.

Judge Philip Crayton considered the name suppression orders at the Whanganui District Court this morning.

None of the defendants were required to appear.

They face charges ranging from belonging to an organised criminal group, to firearms offences and threatening to kill.

No one has so far been charged with causing Mr Ratana's death.

Judge Crayton told the court that he accepted a Crown instruction that revealing the men's names at this stage "could pose a significant and real risk" to the police investigation and compromise their "fair trial rights".

"This is more than a speculative risk - this is a real risk," Judge Clayton said.

He also feared release of the men's names at this stage could affect the ability of the court to hold any eventual trial in Whanganui.

Defence counsel Jamie Waugh supported the move to retain interim name suppression.

At an earlier hearing, Mr Waugh had argued that some of the defendants had expressed concerns about the safety of their families and reported heightened activity from rival gang members in Whanganui.

Some had already shifted family members out of town.

Judge Clayton said in light of the Crown submission arguments over the risk to the defendants and their families did not need to be advanced further.

He remanded the men on current bail conditions to reappear on 30 November when interim name suppression would lapse.

By Robin Martin 

rnz.co.nz

Mongrel Mob members in Whanganui for Kevin Ratana's funeral.
Mongrel Mob members in Whanganui for Kevin Ratana's funeral. Source: rnz.co.nz

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

Fears for missing Auckland 13-year-old not seen since yesterday afternoon

There are fears for a 13-year-old Auckland boy, missing since yesterday afternoon.

Police say Paulo Junior Te Raroa was last seen Monday, around 3.30pm at an address on Kahu Road, Panmure.

He is known to leave his home address, but his family and Police are concerned as he has yet to return.

Paulo goes by the name "Boonie" and may avoid Police for fear of getting into trouble.

He is happy to speak to members of the public but may not ask for help.

Anyone who has seen Paulo Te Raroa is urged to contact Auckland City Police on 09 302 6400.

Paulo Te Raroa. Source: NZ Police

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

Peters says Bridges 'probably only gets one call a month' as he defends PM over Derek Handley saga

Winston Peters says Simon Bridges "probably only gets one call a month" as he defended the Prime Minister over the Derek Handley saga in Parliament today.

Mr Handley this morning released a statement and redacted email and text correspondence between himself and Jacinda Ardern, and then Minister Clare Curran about the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) role and his move back to New Zealand.

Ms Ardern sent Mr Handley her private email address but says she never responded to an email from him about the CTO role.

Mr Handley was paid $100,000 of taxpayers' money after he was pulled from his job as chief technology officer. Source: Breakfast

Today in Parliament's Question Time Mr Bridges grilled Mr Peters, who was answering on behalf of the Prime Minister, about the issue.

"Why did the Prime Minister text Derek Handley her personal email address rather than her work one when Mr Handley's text clearly show he wanted to contact her in the capacity of Prime Minister about how he could quote, 'best serve you in New Zealand and about the CTO role,'" the National Party leader asked.

Mr Peters argued that part of the question was "demonstrably false".

"The member was going fine in the framework for that question until he said about the CTO role, that part of the question is demonstrably false and the transcripts show that.

"So to go back to my primary point, the Prime Minister was clearly asked from someone who is interested in rejoining New Zealand's economy, can I possibly get in contact with you and being the friendly honest person that she is she sent him her private information, we're doing it all the time.

"I don't know what he does (Simon Bridges) but then again, he probably only gets a call once a month," Mr Peters said.

An offer to Mr Handley for the CTO role was retracted by the Government earlier in the month, resulting in a $100,000 pay out to the entrepreneur.
 

Jacinda Ardern sent Derek Handley her private email address but says she never responded to an email from him about the CTO role. Source: Parliament TV


Two injured, one seriously, in Lower Hutt house fire

Two people have been injured, one seriously, in a house fire in Lower Hutt.

Police were called about 1.30pm to the scene in Harris Street and say they are assisting the Fire Service.

Wellington Free Ambulance has told 1 NEWS a person with serious injuries was transported to Hutt Hospital and a second person suffered moderate injuries. 

Locals have told a 1 NEWS reporter at the scene a person came stumbling out of the house and another was carried out. 

Our reporter says the street is cordoned off and smoke could be seen earlier.

Fire communications have confirmed the fire is now extinguished but they are still in attendance.

Six appliances attended the fire. 

Fire appliance Source: 1 NEWS