Which Kiwi burger joint has Ed Sheeran anointed 'by far the best' in the world?

Ed Sheeran has found yet another Kiwi offering to gush over today, declaring Queenstown's renowned Fergburger as "by far the best burger in the world". 

However, the obliging British crooner definitely had some good service laid on him.

The famous Queenstown gourmet burger joint had staff personally deliver some Fergburgers to Ed and his music entourage in Dunedin.

Superstar musician Ed Sheeran plays the first of his three shows in the southern city tonight. Source: 1 NEWS

Following the meal, Sheeran was keen to show his appreciation, posting on Instagram:

"Thank you fergburger for coming down to Dunedin to make burgers for us. By far the best burger in the world #noarguments #yum #hashtag"

The famous Queenstown gourmet burger joint had staff personally deliver some Fergburgers to Ed and his music entourage in Dunedin. Source: Instagram



Demi Lovato spotted out in public for the first time since entering rehab

Demi Lovato has been spotted out in public for the first time since entering rehab.

The Cool for the Summer hitmaker was photographed out and about near the rehab facility she is currently residing in, nearly two months after her near-fatal overdose.

She was seen talking to a lady with a coffee in hand and she couldn't stop smiling, TMZ reports.

Meanwhile, a source previously insisted Demi is "working hard on bettering herself" whilst in rehab.

An insider said: "She's working very hard on bettering herself and staying on the right path. Sobriety is the most important thing in Demi's life right now.

"Demi has been fortunate to have her family and friends for support during this time. Demi's mother and her ex, Wilmer, have visited her in rehab when they can."

Demi's mother Dianna de la Garza had previously confessed she was still "shaken" by the incident, but said her daughter is now "happy" and "healthy" as she works toward her sobriety.

She shared: "It's still a really difficult thing to talk about. I literally start to shake a little bit when I start to remember what happened that day. [Demi's assistant called and] said, Demi overdosed. So, I was in shock. I didn't know what to say.

"It was just something that I never, ever expected to hear, as a parent, about any of my kids. I just feel like the reason she's alive today is because of the millions of prayers that went up that day when everybody found out what was happening.

"I don't think she would be here if it hadn't been for those prayers and the good doctors and Cedars-Sinai. They were the best. I couldn't have asked for a better team of people to save her life. She's happy. She's healthy.

"She's working on her sobriety, and she's getting the help she needs. That in itself encourages me about her future and about the future of our family."

Demi Lovato performing at the California Mid-State Fair in Paso Robles, California on Monday (NZT). Source: Getty

TODAY'S
TOP STORIES

Strawberry crisis: Our strawberries are not the problem say New Zealand growers

As New Zealand authorities try to find the source of a "sordid and sick" strawberry needle contamination, the country's growers are talking down the discovery as an issue for the Australian industry.

NSW authorities are investigating more than 20 incidents of needles found in strawberries.
Source: 1 NEWS

Woolworths-owned supermarket chain Countdown on Sunday announced it was removing Choice brand strawberries, imported from Western Australia, from shelves across NZ after an Auckland customer reported discovering needles in their fruit.

It is the first such case reported across the Tasman.

The company said it had alerted authorities in Australia while NZ police and government agencies have also launched their own investigations.

Greg Newbold told Breakfast that copycat cases were inevitable. Source: Breakfast

It was not yet clear whether the needles had been inserted in Australia or after export, New Zealand Minister for Primary Industries Damien O'Connor told Radio NZ on Monday.

"It's the kind of sordid and sick proposition that does arise when these situations are publicised ... We hope that it would not be a New Zealander doing a copycat ... these will be the things that will be discovered," he said.

Mr O'Connor said he'd be looking at whether additional security measures had been taken around Australian product and whether there were any simple short- term steps that could be taken to assure consumers.

But while reports have suggested some New Zealand growers had already been eyeing metal detectors before the discovery, Strawberry Growers NZ executive manager Michael Ahern on Monday tried to allay the concerns of local consumers, talking the issue down as an Australian one.

"It is a concern, but we don't want to overcook it ... it's Australian product that's involved here," he said.

"We feel for the Aussie growers, so I don't like having to make such a blatant distinction ... But we need to remind our consumers that it's business as usual as far as we can see."

Earlier, in a message to potential copycats on the AM Show, Mr Ahern said there was a lot at stake.

"We've got a number of growers with their livelihoods on the line," he said.

No New Zealand-grown strawberries have been reported as contaminated. The local product comes into season in September and has begun appearing on supermarket shelves.

Countdown early last week announced it had halted imports of Australia strawberries to NZ for the season while competitor Foodstuffs ceased shipping them to its stores.

More than 100 reports of tampered fruit are being investigated by police across Australia, many of which are thought to be fake or copycat cases, while the federal government has ramped up penalties for so-called "food terrorists".

TODAY'S
FEATURED STORIES

The mystery of China's Hollywood acting star not heard from since July - where is she?

Chinese actor Fan Bingbing's management's office in Beijing is dark and abandoned.

Her birthday passed almost unmarked in China's hyper-adrenalised social media environment.

Fan, one of China's most well-known starlets and a rising name in Hollywood, has fallen off the map amid vague allegations of tax fraud and possibly other infractions that have put her at odds with China's Communist Party-appointed culture czars.

The actor has starred in dozens of Chinese movies and television series and is best known internationally for her role as Blink in X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014).

She was reportedly booked to star alongside Penelope Cruz in the Hollywood spy thriller 355 in 2018 and has a role in director Xiao Feng's upcoming film Air Strike featuring Bruce Willis and Adrien Brody.

Yet - for nearly three months - the 37-year-old has been missing from the public eye following a Chinese tax scandal over celebrities underreporting their earnings.

In June, she disappeared from social media amid rumours that she had been barred from leaving the country during a tax evasion investigation.

Up until that point, Fan had maintained a prominent presence on China's main microblogging service Weibo, where she had more than 62 million followers.

The account has not been updated since June 2, when she wrote about the work of her charity foundation.

Her boyfriend, actor Li Chen, has not updated his account since July 6.

Unconfirmed reports circulating online suggested that both actors were barred from leaving China as the authorities looked into claims that Fan was given dual contracts for her work: a public one giving her official salary and a private one stating her actual, much higher, pay.

Recent Chinese media reports have said neither Fan, her production company nor her agent can be reached, boosting speculation that all were caught up in the probe.

However, in a June 3 statement, Fan's production company stated that Fan had never signed any so-called "ying-yang" contract, so named because of their dual natures.

Police rarely comment on investigations until a conclusion has been reached.

One of China's wealthiest entertainers, Fan earned tens of millions of (US) dollars for her roles, along with high amounts of money in appearance fees and for product endorsements.

It's those contracts that appear to have landed her and her fiance in hot water with Chinese authorities.

Following the allegations, multiple brands pulled out of deals linked to the actor.

At Fan's management's office in Beijing's Dongcheng district, doors are currently locked, the lights are out and a calendar on a cabinet still displays the month of July.

A worker at an office across the hall from Fan's management's office told the Associated Press she couldn't remember the last time she'd seen anyone enter the company premises.

Fan turned 37 on Sept. 16, but only a handful of entertainment notables sent greetings online, a stark contrast from the past when her birthday celebrations were grand, marked last year by a public marriage proposal from boyfriend Li.

Over the summer the mysterious vanishing prompted many questions among members of the public, causing people to turn to social media for updates on the latest.

So far, with little result as to Fan's whereabouts.

"A person with such a big fan base, fame, high income and strong influence, one who seems so rich, has actually gone missing in modern China, in 2018, in an open China. This is a problem in itself", Chinese columnist and commentator Shi Shusi told the Associated Press.

On the streets of Beijing, some residents stressed that high-earners like Fan should not evade tax responsibilities.

One of the actor's fans said that she would like to defend Fan, but that it was difficult to do so while she is missing.

Chinese actor Fan Bingbing's management's office in Beijing is dark and abandoned. Source: Associated Press


Serena Williams and Meghan Markle have been 'relying on each other a lot recently'

Meghan Markle and Serena Williams have been "relying on each other a lot recently", according to the tennis star.

The Duchess of Sussex and the tennis star have known each other for a long time but she says they grow closer and closer by the day.

She told Australia's The Project: "We were actually just texting each other this morning. We have known each other for a long time, but we really are relying on each other a lot recently."

And Serena felt like she was "watching history" when she saw Meghan tie the knot with Prince Harry in Windsor Castle earlier this year.

Appearing on Australia's Sunday Project, the 23-time Grand Slam winner refused to answer questions. Source: Channel Ten

"I felt like we were literally watching history. I feel like in a few years, when I look back at that moment, it's just gonna be so historic. It's gonna be something people never forget.

"The whole service was really wonderful and most of all, I just wanted to see my friend be happy and I think that's what happened."

Meanwhile, Serena previously revealed she feels "proud" of Meghan, Duchess of Sussex after she launched a cookbook in support of the victims of the Grenfell tragedy.

The 37-year-old royal has written the foreword to a recipe book from cooks at the Hubb Community Kitchen, which is based in London.

Responding to the announcement, Serena wrote on her Twitter account: "I used to call you Meghan (and I still do) but dear Duchess of Sussex your first project "Together" a cookbook bringing women of all cultures together.

"I could not be more excited about it and proud of you. It's beautiful - diversity, inclusivity, coming together in grief or joy."

Meghan Markle and Serena Williams. Source: Associated Press