NZME Ltd, the owner of New Zealand's top-selling newspaper, says the Court Of Appeals had blocked its bid to merge with Fairfax Media Ltd's New Zealand unit.
The company said its appeal against the High Court's decision to block the merger was unsuccessful. NZME had decided to contest the High Court decision last February.
The Court Of Appeals is the second highest appeals court In the country, behind the Supreme Court. NZME said it would consider the judgment and "review its options."
NZME Chief Executive Michael Boggs said he was disappointed by the decision.
The deal, first announced in 2016, would have seen NZME purchasing Fairfax's New Zealand subsidiary, Stuff Ltd.
It was initially blocked by New Zealand's competition regulator on concerns it would have led to unprecedented local media influence, a decision upheld by the country's High Court.
No injuries have been reported after a train derailed Sunday in northwest Iowa and 20 cars carrying soybean oil and sand fell into the flooded Floyd River.
Drone video from the Sioux County Sheriff's Office showed more than a dozen mangled railcars in the river.
Kiwi hip-hop trio High Beams' rise isn't slowing down anytime soon, releasing one of the most exciting albums of the year, and revealed as a headline act for the 2019 Laneway festival.
Appearing on TVNZ 1's Breakfast, two of the three members of High Beams spoke of their origins as a group, and their path to becoming one of New Zealand music's most exciting acts.
"We're all mates, we're mates before the music all came together," member Illbaz said.
High Beams came together from Melo and Raiza - who's absent today. They do mentoring and youth programmes at the Wesley Community Centre.
"I lived across the road, they would pop in after work and we would literally just make music."
The trio are a unique smorgasbord of ethnic backgrounds, containing Rwandan, Palestinian and Polynesian descent.
"It's like the hip-hop UN," Melodownz jokes.
"It's like the world news in an album."
High Beams' self-titled debut album also features collaborations with New Zealand music legend Che Fu.
Britney Spears and her ex-husband Kevin Federline have come to an agreement in their row over child support payments.
The Toxic singer had been in dispute with the dancer for several months as he wanted the amount of child support she pays for their two sons, Sean Preston, 13, and 12-year-old Jayden, increased from $US20,000 a month and they have reportedly now reached a new deal.
The terms of the agreement are confidential, but a source told The Blast that Britney has agreed to increase her monthly payments to Kevin by "thousands more".
Britney's father, Jamie Spears - who is co-conservator of her estate and has control of her financial affairs - previously offered Kevin an additional $US10,000 a month but he turned it down.
Despite seeing her earnings rise since the original agreement was reached, largely due to her Las Vegas residency, Jamie insisted Britney hadn't changed the way she looked after the children.
He also argued the Womaniser hitmaker's success has nothing to do with the needs of the children and insisted his daughter wasn't responsible for taking care of Kevin and his other children.
Despite his requests for more money, the 39-year-old reality TV star - who also has children Kori, 15, and Kaleb, 13, with ex-fiancee Shar Jackson, and Jordan, six, and Peyton, three, with wife Victoria Prince - and his lawyer didn't specify a figure and couldn't give an example of where the boys' needs weren't being met.
Kevin argued he needed the increase because he is "simply less of a 'name' and less in demand than he was in 2008" when the child support was agreed on.
When the former couple got divorced in 2007, Britney paid her ex-husband $US1.3 million, and as well as continued child support payments, he also received spousal support for several years.