Prince's ex-wife doesn't think he ever got over their son's death.
Source: Bang Showbiz
The late singer - who died of an accidental overdose last April - and Mayte Garcia were devastated when son Amiir passed away just six days after his birth in 1996 as he had rare genetic disorder Pfeiffer syndrome type 2.
Mayte told People magazine: "I don't think he ever got over it. I don't know how anybody can get over it. I know I haven't."
The brunette beauty had been having a smooth pregnancy but a doctor recommended she underwent an amniocentesis - in which a sample of amniotic fluid is taken from around the foetus - to test for genetic abnormalities when she began bleeding one day.
The couple were warned there was a risk of miscarriage with the test, so Prince was against it.
In her new book, The Most Beautiful: My Life with Prince, Mayte wrote: "My husband said, 'No, we're not doing that.'"
Source: 1 NEWS
Instead, the couple prayed at home that the tot would be OK and continued to refuse medical intervention.
Amiir was born via caesarian section and Mayte watched the 'Purple Rain singer's face transform from "pure joy" to "pure terror" as they realised the extent of the tot's problems.
She recalled: "I don't know how to describe the look on my husband's face. Pure joy.
"And then they held the baby up to those harsh lights. The elation on my husband's face turned to pure terror.
"Pfeiffer syndrome type 2 is a genetic disorder that causes skeletal and systematic abnormalities.
"The premature fusing of the bones in the skull, sometimes resulting in 'cloverleaf skull,' in which the eyes are outside the sockets. The fusion of bones in the hands and feet causing a webbed or pawlike appearance ... I learned all of this later.
"They brought the baby over to us. He was curled on his side, gasping shallow little gulps of air. Because there were no lids to blink, his eyes looked startled and dry. I caught hold of his tiny hand, saying over and over, 'Mama loves you, Mama's here.'"
In the days that followed, Amiir underwent multiple operations and doctors recommended a tracheotomy, but Mayte slowly began to realise they would lose their son.
She wrote: "After six days he was struggling to breathe. And I said to the doctor, 'He's not leaving here, is he?' "