National List MP Claudette Hauiti says she has made the "difficult decision" to finish with politics at the end of this Parliamentary term.
Ms Hauiti, who has been selected as National's candidate to contest Auckland's new seat of Kelston, said "it is with regret that I am announcing today my intention to retire from Parliament and not to stand as a candidate for the National Party in the upcoming General Election".
Ms Hauiti says she will not be standing for any other party in the September election, and she thanked the National Party for the opportunities she has been given.
Her decision comes just days before National releases its list rankings where it was thought Ms Hauiti was likely to be dropped well down the pecking order after embarrassment over her use of a parliamentary credit card to pay for personal travel to Australia.
Ms Hauiti has since handed in the card to Parliamentary Services.
National Party President Peter Goodfellow has thanked Ms Hauiti for her services and says that the Party will re-open nominations for the Kelston seat on July 23 until July 30.
It's expected a selection panel will decide on a new candidate by early August.
Ms Hauiti, a former broadcaster, became an MP in May last year when Christchurch-based National List MP Aaron Gilmore resigned over a drunken incident at a Hanmer Springs restaurant.