TODAY |

Rotorua family's life changed forever after son chokes on apple at day care

When a Rotorua mum dropped her twins off at day care one day, she never dreamt that only one would come home.

Your playlist will load after this ad

The family of Neihana Renata hopes lessons can be learned after he suffered brain damaged after choking at day care. Source: Sunday

When Neihana Renata was 22-months-old, he choked on a piece of apple that his family says should never have been given to him.

It was a breach of Ministry of Health guidelines.

There have been no consequences for the day care centre, but for Neihana and his family life will never be the same.

They speak for the first time to Sunday's Janet McIntyre about why they want change.

Read more: Sunday: Janet McIntyre's Opinion - Little done to warn day care providers after toddler choked on fruit