Top TVNZ OnDemand questions
Why am I receiving an error message saying incorrect timezone/not in NZ?
To view most content on TVNZ, you need to be in New Zealand. If you're receiving an error message even though you are in NZ, there may be a problem with the settings on your computer which determine your location.
There are a few different problems that could be causing this error message.
1) Check the timezone on your device - make sure it is set to New Zealand time - Auckland/Wellington (+12hrs), and that the time is accurate. Also, please ensure the ‘automatically adjust for daylight savings time’ tickbox is selected
2) Please check if you, or anyone in your household is routing your connection through a VPN (Virtual Private Network). VPNs allows users to appear as though they are actually from a different part of the world.
3) If you recently changed your ISP or internet plan, check with your ISP that your IP address has been correctly set up as a NZ IP.
4) You may be trying to watch TVNZ OnDemand via your Smart TV browser. Our new website is not supported on TV browsers so you won't be able to watch TVNZ OnDemand unless you have the Samsung TV app.
If you can confirm that your household is not using a VPN, your timezone is correct, you are not trying to watch via a Smart TV browser and your ISP is able to confirm that your IP address has been set up correctly, then please get in touch and let us know.
I can't find the TVNZ app in the Windows Store. What do I do?
If you can't find our app in your Windows Store, we'd recommend checking the region settings on your device. You can do this by heading to the Start menu of your device, and navigating to Settings, then to Time & Language.
From there, you'll need to change your region to New Zealand, as TVNZ is only available to viewers inside New Zealand.
I’ve forgotten my password. How can I reset it?
It's easy. Simply click on the Login/Register page and select the Forgotten Password link or visit www.tvnz.co.nz/forgot-password
Then just type in your email address, hit Enter and we'll email you a link to to reset your password.
Click on the link in your email inbox, set up a new password and you're done!
If you can't find the email from us in your inbox, make sure to check your spam/junk mail folder and add us to your safe senders list.
I'm unable to log in or register using Internet Explorer
If you are unable to submit a new registration or the login page is not working correctly for you, it may be that you are trying to access TVNZ via an older browser version of Internet Explorer.
Internet Explorer 8 and older browsers are not supported with this version of TVNZ.
We recommend using a browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari. If you want to use a version of Internet Explorer, we recommend updating Internet Explorer to the latest available version.
You are experiencing freezing/stuttering/”Not enough bandwidth” error message
If you're having trouble streaming content, here are a few things you can do to ensure an optimal setup at your end:
· If you’re using WiFi on a device that can be connected via cable – please test video playback with a cable.
· If you have to use WiFi on your device – check out the signal strength – if it’s low – try watching while you’re closer to your router and make sure there aren’t too many devices connected to the WiFi.
· If you’re watching through an internet browser (rather than an app), on a desktop/laptop - please try the ‘low’ or ‘medium’ quality settings if you’re not currently using them.
· Make sure there is no-one in your household using all of your bandwidth. Simultaneous internet use on multiple devices on the same connection may result in poor video playback.
· Make sure your internet browser is completely up to date with the latest version. Try an alternative internet browser and see if you have better results.
· If you’re watching TVNZ through one of our apps, try closing other apps on your device to make sure TVNZ has as much bandwidth available as possible.
· If you’re using a desktop/laptop, please close background programs that might be sharing your connection.
· Make sure you have no background downloads running (on any devices in your household).
· Restart your home network by switching off your device(s) and powering off your modem (and wireless router if it’s a separate device) for at least 30 seconds before switching on again.
· If you are using a mobile device, try watching on a different internet connection
· If you have modified any of your device’s connection settings, restore to your Internet Service Provider’s default settings – turn off any VPN connections you may have switched on; reset your device to pick up the default DNS setting. If you are not sure how to do this, get in touch with your device manufacturer.
· Contact your ISP to check if your router is properly set up to communicate with the other devices on your home network.
If you still need to get in touch, before getting back to us, make sure to complete a speedtest, and let us know what the result is: http://www.speedtest.net/
I have a valid account but I’m unable to login on my computer
In order to keep you logged into your account, TVNZ has to save a cookie to your computer. If you’re not able to login, cookies might not be enabled in your browser or your cookie settings may be blocking cookies.
If you are in browsing in Privacy mode or Incognito mode, you will need to turn it off in order to login to TVNZ.
To check/update your cookie settings:
- Check for an icon of a cookie with an x through it on the right hand side of your browser address bar.
- Click on the cookie and you should see a pop up message which says This page was prevented from setting cookies. You’ll need to make sure that “Always allow tvnz.co.nz to set cookies” is checked so that you can login and have our site remember you.
- If you don’t see the Cookie icon, you can also check your cookie settings by selecting the Chrome menu then Settings > Content Settings. Click on “Manage Exceptions” to add us to your Exceptions list by typing in [*.]tvnz.co.nz and selecting Allow.
- Click on Settings then select Internet Options from the Tools menu.
- Click on the Privacy tab then select Advanced.
- Check the Override automatic cookie handling box.
- Next select Accept under First-party Cookies.
- Select OK in the Advanced Privacy Settings window.
- Select OK on the Internet Options window to save your changes
- Go to Tools then Options in the Firefox menu.
- Select the Privacy tab
- Select Remember History under "Firefox will:" drop-down menu.
- Hit okay to close and save the new privacy setting.
- Select Preferences from the Safari menu.
- Select Privacy.
- Select From third parties and advertisers under Block cookies
- Close and save the new privacy setting.
Once you have updated your cookie settings, you should be able to login to TVNZ.
Why do I get a picture but no audio when watching video on my iPad?
Due to some changes we've made recently, you now have to un-mute your device in order to access sound through the TVNZ app. While some other video apps will play sound even with the mute switch on, your device's mute switch needs to be turned off in order to receive sound on TVNZ videos.
Depending on how your device is set up, there are a few steps you'll have to complete in order to get it to work.
- Firstly, open the TVNZ app, start playing a video and leave it playing while you complete the rest of these steps.
- On the side of your device, please toggle the mute switch on and off, and confirm that you can see it toggling on and off on the screen. Make sure you leave it un-muted.
- Beside the mute toggle, use the volume buttons to increase the volume, and you should start to hear audio.
If you have a newer model iPad, the mute switch is not located on the side of your device but in the control panel menu.
To un-mute using the control panel:
- To access, exit TVNZ and from your home screen swip upwards.
- The control centre should now appear on the screen. There will be an icon of a bell. Tapping on the bell icon will allow you to mute or un-mute the device.
- Make sure mute is turned off and try watching your video again in the TVNZ app and you should hear audio
- If you still cannot hear audio, increase the volume on the side, and sound should be restored.
How come logging in is compulsory, when it didn't used to be?
We’ve changed TVNZ to make it work better. There are a few reasons why we’ve needed to make login or registration compulsory.
1. So the site works properly.
We’ve added some new features that make TVNZ better and more personal, like the ability to create a watch list and use ‘pick up and play.’ These things only work if you have a login. And as our content library grows, we’ll introduce even more useful functions.
2. So we can keep advertisers happy
We know not everyone loves ads, but they keep things running and let us buy or make new shows for you. Sometimes advertisers will want to speak to specific audiences, so asking for simple info like your age and gender means we can deliver that.
I’m unable to watch video on my Samsung mobile/tablet and receiving an error message saying “processing DRM failed/video is not playable at this time”
If you are receiving this error message, you may need to update your device firmware. Try updating to the latest firmware and see if the problem has resolved. Refer to the Samsung Support website for advice on how to update your device.
If you are still receiving this error after updating to the latest firmware, get in touch and let us know.
Why can't I start watching the same programme on a different device?
If our pick up and play function isn't working for you - make you sure are logged into the same account with the same email address on both devices.
If you have logged in with the same email address on both devices and it's still not working for you, please get in touch and let us know.
Video won't play on my Samsung Mobile or Tablet but ads are playing fine
If you are trying to watch TVNZ on your Samsung mobile or tablet and ads are playing but you can't get the video to play, updating your tablet or mobile's firmware may help fix this.
To do this you need to go to System > General > About Device and tap the “Software update” button and follow the prompts to check if your device needs to update to the latest firmware.
Once you've updated your firmware, try watching video again on the TVNZ to see if this has resolved the problem.
If this is still an issue and you have definitely updated to the latest firmware for your device, please get in touch and let us know.
How does an advertisement know my name?
To make advertising more relevant we sometimes use a technology called ad personalisation.
This works to insert a name you have provided to us, such as during registration, into an advert that is shown to you, or users of your TVNZ OnDemand account, i.e. in the advert’s graphics or imagery. The insertion happens in a similar way to how a mail merge system would work, and is done by TVNZ, and/or our third party personalisation technology service providers on our behalf, after we receive the advert from an advertiser.
We do not share your name or personal information with any advertiser when we use this type of technology, or give an advertiser permission to use your personal details.
To learn more about interest-based advertising and your choices, visit the Digital Advertising Alliance's Consumer Choice page at: http://www.aboutads.info/choices.