We’re made some changes to TVNZ OnDemand to make it work better. There’s a few reasons why we’ve needed to make registration (and login) compulsory.
The changes make the site work better and give you a more personal experience. Like creating a watchlist and setting up your favourite shows so there right there and ready for you when you log in.
If you’re confused about something or want more information, we’ve put some FAQs together below. If your question isn’t answered here, send us a note using our Contact Form and we’ll do our best to answer it and add it to this list.
I’ve forgotten my password. How can I reset it?
It's easy. Simply click on the Login/Register page and select the Forgotten Password link or you can reset your password here - https://www.tvnz.co.nz/forgot-password.
Just type in your email address, hit Enter and we'll email you a link to to reset your password.
I’m not able to verify my email address when I click on the link in my inbox
If the email link isn't working for you, try the below steps:
- go to Login/Register and try creating a new account with the same email address and details you used previously.
- You will be prompted to with an option to resend the email if you have already registered with that address.
- Select the "Send" button and you should receive a new email in your inbox.
If the link isn’t working for you, get in touch via our contact form and let us know.
I haven’t received an email to verify my email address
If you haven’t received a verification email, try the following:
- Check your junk mail folder or spam filter and move the email into your inbox and click the link to verify your address. Make sure to add to us to your safe senders list too!
- Try re-creating a new account with the same email address. You will be prompted to with an option to resend the verification email if you have already registered with that address.
- Select the “Send” button and you should receive a new email in your inbox.
- Click on the link in your inbox and you’re verified. Easy!
How come logging in is compulsory, when it didn't used to be?
We’re changing TVNZ OnDemand to make it work better. There are a few reasons why we’ve needed to make login or registration compulsory.
1. So the site works properly.
We’ve added some new features that make TVNZ OnDemand better and more personal, like the ability to create a watch list and use ‘pick up and play.’ These things only work if you have a login. And as our content library grows, we’ll introduce even more useful functions.
2. So we can keep advertisers happy
We know not everyone loves ads, but they keep things running and let us buy or make new shows for you. Sometimes advertisers will want to speak to specific audiences, so asking for simple info like your age and gender means we can deliver that.
I have a valid account but I’m unable to login on my computer
In order to keep you logged into your account, TVNZ OnDemand has to save a cookie to your computer. If you’re not able to login, cookies might not be enabled in your browser or your cookie settings may be blocking cookies.
If you are in browsing in Privacy mode or Incognito mode, you will need to turn it off in order to login to TVNZ OnDemand.
To check/update your cookie settings:
- Check for an icon of a cookie with an x through it on the right hand side of your browser address bar.
- Click on the cookie and you should see a pop up message which says This page was prevented from setting cookies. You’ll need to make sure that “Always allow tvnz.co.nz to set cookies” is checked so that you can login and have our site remember you.
- If you don’t see the Cookie icon, you can also check your cookie settings by selecting the Chrome menu then Settings > Content Settings. Click on “Manage Exceptions” to add us to your Exceptions list by typing in [*.]tvnz.co.nz and selecting Allow.
- Click on Settings then select Internet Options from the Tools menu.
- Click on the Privacy tab then select Advanced.
- Check the Override automatic cookie handling box.
- Next select Accept under First-party Cookies.
- Select OK in the Advanced Privacy Settings window.
- Select OK on the Internet Options window to save your changes
- Go to Tools then Options in the Firefox menu.
- Select the Privacy tab
- Select Remember History under "Firefox will:" drop-down menu.
- Hit okay to close and save the new privacy setting.
- Select Preferences from the Safari menu.
- Select Privacy.
- Select From third parties and advertisers under Block cookies
- Close and save the new privacy setting.
Once you have updated your cookie settings, you should be able to login to TVNZ OnDemand.
I have a valid account but I’m unable to login to the TVNZ OnDemand app on my mobile/tablet/Samsung TV
If you're unable to login to the TVNZ OnDemand app on your mobile, tablet or Samsung TV and receive a "Sorry we're unable to connect" error message, there may be a problem with the connection to our server.
Try forcing the app to close, wait a couple of minutes then reopen the app and try to login again.
For instructions on how to force close an app on your Apple device, visit the Apple support site.
For instructions on how to force close an app on your Samsung device, visit the Samsung support website.
On your Samsung Smart TV simply close the app, wait a couple of minutes then reopen and try logging in again.
If you are still unable to login, please contact us and let us know.
I haven’t registered for TVNZ OnDemand. Why have I received an email from you asking me to verify my email address?
Someone may have accidentally made a typo and tried to set up a TVNZ OnDemand account using your address. So you can either ignore the email you've received, or go ahead and finish creating an account (it's your email address after all!) Just make sure to use the 'forgotten password' links to change your password when you login for the first time.
Can I update my email address?
Not right now, sorry. If you want to use a different email address, you’ll need to create a new account with your alternative email address. Don’t forget to verify your new account too!
Why does TVNZ need my personal info?
Your personal information will be essential to run the new version of TVNZ OnDemand and make sure that content is relevant and delivered in the best way for you and your computer. We will use it:
1. To make things better for you.
We use what we know about you to display shows we think you’ll like, make recommendations and so you can save your favourite settings and shows. It’s also handy for system admin.
2. To communicate with you.
We’ll use your details to let you know about updates to the site or other things we think you’ll like. We’ll also need it to provide technical support and reply to any questions you have.
3. To make our website better.
We use your information together with other people’s to look at website traffic, analyse trends and generally help us build a big picture view of how the site is working. These insights are important to make the site better for you and our advertisers.
4. To help make advertising more relevant.
We share stats and data with our advertisers to help make their ads more relevant. When we share your data in this way, we will never identify you individually unless you’ve specifically said that it’s okay to do that (e.g. if you opt in to hear more about an advertiser’s stuff.)
So what personal information do I need to give you when I sign up?
When you set up your login for TVNZ OnDemand, we ask you for a few basic details. These are:
1. Your name
2. Your email address
3. Your gender
4. Your age range
Why are you asking for these particular details?
We need your name and email your address for TVNZ OnDemand so when you log in, we know you’re you. But there are a few other reasons too:
1. Recommending things you’ll like.
When we know your age and gender, we can recommend shows we think your might be interested in.
2. Planning what we do next.
Knowing about our viewers and what they like can help us make decide what shows to buy, or figure out what new shows we should make.
3. More interesting advertising.
We can pass on your non-personal information (so your age, gender and the area you live) to our advertisers so they can show you the ads they think will appeal most.
How does giving you my details benefit me?
Having a personal login for TVNZ OnDemand will let you set everything up just the way you like it. You will be able to save all your ‘favourites’ in one place, and make watch lists so you can marathon all the episodes of your favourite shows.
With a personal login, if you get interrupted, you will be able to carry on watching from where you left off - on any device.
And the bigger our library of content gets, the more useful personalisation will be.
You’ll be able to find, save and shortcut to all your favourite shows, and in the future we’ll be able to bring you even more great personalised features like sending you reminders when new episodes are available, or recommending shows we think you’ll like.
Who sees my information? Do you share it with anyone?
We will keep your info safe. The only people who see it are authorised TVNZ employees, or there may be authorised third parties working with us to deliver your services. This could be contractors, suppliers or agents providing a service for TVNZ OnDemand , but we only use trusted TVNZ-approved organisations and we never pass on your personal details directly to advertisers.
Is my information safe?
Yes. We’re big on security, so we keep your information confidential and protect every detail you share with us from unauthorised access. Only a small group of people at TVNZ will have access to your personal data.
If we work with any outside services to handle data, we only use TVNZ-approved organisations and we never pass on your personal details directly to advertisers
What does ‘third party behavioural advertising’ mean?
We sometimes get different advertising networks to play you ads to when you’re using TVNZ OnDemand. That’s where the ‘third party’ bit comes in.
They place Cookies (the nerdy kind, not the edible ones) in your device that show when you’ve visited a site before. It means they can see what you’re interested in, and play you the ads you’ll like most.
What if I’m not over 18?
You need to be at least 13 to use the new version of site, and if you’re under 18 you’ll need permission from a parent or guardian before you sign up to use TVNZ OnDemand.
For more information, take a look at "Who can use the site?" in our House Rules section.
Are you going to send me spam?
No. Every once in a while you might get a service message about our site, but we don’t send you marketing messages unless you want us to. This means you have to opt in to receive regular emails from TVNZ OnDemand. If you’re getting marketing messages already and you want to stop, you can use the 'unsubscribe' or the 'stop' function.
Do you sell my personal info to anyone?
No. We won’t sell your details to anyone. We only use your non-personal information to help advertisers target specific audiences, for example ‘men in their thirties.’
1. Social media and any interactive applications
2. Audio visual content
7. Other services we offer through TVNZ OnDemand and our other sites
Will you let me know if your policies, or your T&Cs change?
If we change or update anything, it’ll always be on our site, so it's a good idea to check back every now and then.
If it’s anything we think will be a major change for you, we’ll flick you an email and let you know about it.
If you have any other questions, queries or even if you have a complaint (but we hope you don’t) flick us an email via our Contact form
How do I unsubscribe from your email newsletter?
In order to unsubscribe from our Marketing emails, you'll need to update your settings.
To do this:
- on desktop, hover over "Hi (your name)" and select Settings. From the Edit Your Details page, uncheck "Be the first to know" under Change Prefrences and then select Update Preferences to save your changes.
- on the mobile and tablet app, select Settings from the main menu and then under TVNZ Account, select the Open Browser button. From there you will be taken to a browser window in order to login into your account. Once you have logged in uncheck "Be the first to know" under Change Preferences then make sure to select Update Preferences to save your changes.
How do I contact TVNZ OnDemand?
Easy, you can contact TVNZ OnDemand via our Contact Form by clicking here.